1969s penny question

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by dollar, Oct 21, 2009.

1. dollar

dollar Junior Member

I changed the image to black and white because I couldn't get up close with an in focus image. To me, this looks like one s over another. I am not able to show (what I see) even in this black and white image. Under high magnification, it's looks like two "different" s's.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

Looks like a machine doubling damaged coin to me.

4. coincraze

coincraze New Member

I think it's machine doubling and it's hard to tell by those photo's.
    John

5. bhp3rd

bhp3rd Die varieties, Gems

It is mechanical/machine doubling very common for this type.

It is mechanical/machine doubling very common for this type.
    Look closely at the "S" does it appear that the secondary image closest to the field is scooted, pushed or pulled, flat and shelvelike? This is caused by loose dies flopping together during the strike.
    If you want to learn more just seach doubled dies, mechanical, machine doubling in CoinTalk.

6. jessash1976

jessash1976 Coin knowledgeable

This is a great example of a machine doubled penny. They use this example in many coin books to show the difference between MD and doubled die coins.

7. dollar

dollar Junior Member

This is a color photo. The top "s" looks "shelved" on the bottom "s". There looks to be two different endings on the bottom of the "s". I still believe there are two s's here.

Attached Files:

• 1969.jpg
      1969.jpg
      File size:
      56.3 KB
      Views:
  8. jallengomez

jallengomez Cessna 152 Jockey

Top part looks like die-deterioration. I can't tell from this image about the bottom part.

9. jcuve

jcuve Lincoln variety fanatic

It is most likely MD...maybe DDD. The pics are not good enough for a proper diagnosis.

If you think it is a RPM (which I doubt), match up the markers and find the listing.

10. bhp3rd

Many still believe in Santa also and why not, he comes every year!

Many still believe in Santa also and why not, he comes every year!

11. jessash1976

Sorry, it is not a DD. I have (had) several and just spent them. Some people keep very nice and sharp examples of these coins just for the variety, but it is a Machine doubled coin. Keep looking though and good luck!:cool:

12. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

It was never considered to be a DDO.

Just the Mintmark, which would be an RPM. But isn't.

13. jessash1976

What I meant by variety was a "variety" not an actual DDO. Sorry, sometimes I have a "variety" of different ways for saying things. :)

14. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

What does 'DD' stand for?

15. jcuve

MDD on another '69S

Attached Files:

16. bhp3rd

I want to know that one also?

I want to know that one also?
    Who started this DD, MDD. DDD, dd, stuff - is it so hard to say doubled die?
    Given the great confusion in the topic already should we not owe to our hobby to limit confusion where we can???

17. dollar

dollar Junior Member

It is hard to post any good pictures of what I'M looking at! I have looked at this a hundred times.. the ONLY thing this can be is die deterioration or a re-punched mint mark. The s in ON TOP of the other s. If this were a machine doubled mark, the doubled mark would follow in a certain direction. This one does not. Anyway, thanks for the great answers.

18. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

DD= Doubled Die

DDO = Doubled Die Obverse

DDR = Doubled Die Reverse

MD = Machine Dpubling

SD = Strike Doubling ( same thing as MD, different words).

RPM = Repunched mintmark

19. foundinrolls

foundinrolls Roll Searching Enthusiast

Sorry but I don't understand the logic as to how you determined the coin is not machine doubled on the mintmark.

I'm not trying to be funny but it is classic machine doubling. There is even doubling seen on the 1 and 9 that corresponds to the machine doubling on the S.

Thanks,
    Bill

20. dollar

dollar Junior Member

My logic is... if it were doubling, the doubling would look the same. In the image, the doubling in the year goes from east to west. In the mint mark, the doubling goes from south to north. Therefore, I think it is either die deterioration or a re-punch.

Attached Files:

21. jcuve

MD does not have to look the same, it is can be inconsistent in regards to direction and severity on different parts of the coin.

What you have is not a RPM, it isn't even doubling, it is MD - and MD looks doubled but it is not - it is just part of the design that has been compressed by the die after the strike due to loose parts on the machine striking the coins.

I strongly suggest you spend more time studying RPMs, die doubling and other forms of doubling - simultaneously you should be searching more coins, put questionable ones with "doubling" to the side and study them together. After finding any possible variety, it is advisable to look at the listings for the year and Mint - have you done this for the '69S? CONECA lists 5, CC 6 and Wexler at least 9. There are no RPMs with a north spread listed for the '69S that I can find. None listed have such a wide spread, that should tell you something. The '69S is a heavily searched year for the Lincoln cent, that should also tell you something.

Draft saved Draft deleted