1969D $1 bill error note

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by SCmasonMA, Aug 28, 2007.

1. SCmasonMA

SCmasonMA New Member

hi everyone. i've been reading these forums for quite some time and i finally came accross a nice one dollar bill i'd like to share with you all! i've always been a novice coin collector...nothing really valuable or special...just coins that i liked and/or got in my change. however, i have always wanted to find a nice error note. star notes have always intrigued me but there has always been something about an error on a united states currency that i really wanted. well, i think i may have finally stumbled accross one.

it's a series 1969D $1 bill from the federal reserve bank of richmond, virginia. everything on the front of the bill seems normal, but the numbers printed in black that appear 4 times beside each (1) near the corners is slightly shifted down, and the green treasury seal is shifted to the left about 1/8 of an inch. this is slightly odd, but the cool part is the back of the bill. there is no green ink whatsoever on the back of the bill, only a very light red/orange/tannish colored ink. i was wondering what you would call this and of course, could it fetch a premium if i ever decided to sell it? i suppose i should also ask if this is a genuine error or if it may be just a damaged bill of some kind. i will post pictures ASAP. thanks in advance for any feedback!

-mason

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

moneycostingmemoney and NOS like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. clembo

clembo A closed mind is no mind

The shifting on the front is not enough to qualify as an error.

The "orangish" tint on the back could be due to coming in contact with bleach I believe. Always wondered why it wouldn't affect the fron though as I have an old 5 spot like that.

4. SCmasonMA

SCmasonMA New Member

the orangish tint is quite uniform...and the paper is permeable, so i don't think it could possibly be from contact with bleach. i'll have to experiment with a normal dollar when i get home from work or something. i wonder why it is the color it is?

5. Coinlover

Coinlover The Coin Collector

its not an error, just someone with too much time on their hands. someone here has a bill with the same thing. either caused by bleach contact, or sunlight. i'd still keep it just becuase its older.

6. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

7. SCmasonMA

SCmasonMA New Member

thanks for the replies guys. i probably will keep it though as a novelty. hopefully i'll have a real find for you guys sometime soon.

8. gatzdon

gatzdon Numismatist

There is a multi step process for "bleaching" out the ink in order to reuse the paper to print a higher denomination bill.

While the term bleaching is used, usually it isn't sodium hypochlorite used, but rather more subtle chemicals like peroxides. The goal is to not damage the paper too much in the process, hence the note is not just soaked, but rather dabbed with the bleaching solution.

It is possible for sunlight alone to start bleaching a note, but that takes quite a bit of sunlight to do.

I'm not an expert on bleaching notes and do not claim to know the intricate details behind bleaching notes, so apologize for any innacuracies.

9. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

The reason it doesn't affect the front is because the back is green made up of an ink that contains blue and yellow pigments. The chemical reacts with the pigments differently and you get an odd color. The front is printed with black ink and the black color is the result of a single component which is not affected by the chemical. You might get the black to fade, but it will not change color.

10. bzcollektor

bzcollektor SSDC Life Member

Obviously a bleached note. A little homework and you will know why...

11. RickieB

RickieB Expert Plunger Sniper

Agree. bleached/washed

RickieB

12. pcdude

pcdude New Member

Dollar

I have same Dollar and everyone tells me it has been bleached..Hard to believe sence we both have 1969D dollars....Have you found out anything on this dollar - edited -

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2018
  13. urbanchemist

urbanchemist US/WORLD CURRENCY JUNKIE

it is definitely been washed or bleached. the one i have is a 1969 B note. same orange back. i know for a fact mine has been messed with (not by me). i have seen many others on Ebay from all diffrent years and reserves being sold as errors. but alas they are not :(

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. TheNoost

TheNoost huldufolk

I just saw one of those in my dealers showcase! Asked to see it and he said it shouldn't even be in there. It was a bleached note. $3.95 was the pricetag. I have also heard certain gunpowders would do strange things to ink on money. Not suggested though. Friction and gunpowder not good.

15. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

Yeah, definitely a bleached note. There were tons of 1969D notes printed so it's not surprising that someone messed with a few or a few went through the wash at some point.

16. turtleman Ingle

turtleman Ingle New Member

I've got a bill that is the same way, I've had it since 1970 and it was new

17. MikeyB

MikeyB New Member

I have two myself from 1974

Michael Brown

18. Mike123456

Mike123456 New Member

I also think I might have an error note that seems interesting for a 1969 1 dollar bill. Could yall help me. The back of the note is printed on the front.

19. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Pictures?

20. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

That could be an offset ink transfer. If it is, it has value as an error.

21. Mike123456

Mike123456 New Member

Draft saved Draft deleted