1969 S Double Dies are Still out there!

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by andy21us, Jul 4, 2009.

1. andy21us

andy21us Coin Hoarder

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. huntsman53

huntsman53 Supporter**

Yepper! That one sold at the Florida Fun Show for $126,500 and was offered by Heritage Auction Gallleries. It was graded by PCGS as a MS-64RD and is equal in grade to first one ever certified and graded with none grade higher. I am not sure but I read somewhere, that there are only three specimens known, one graded AU and the other two MS-64RD.

Frank

4. Jim M

Jim M Ride it like ya stole it

Frank, I believe there are more than 3. I personally know of three of them including the one that sold at the FUN show last year for the 126 marker. There are also 2 more in the local area that have traded hands a few times. I am sure there are others. There are more.

5. andy21us

andy21us Coin Hoarder

I am not sure how many are out there, because the article states that the coin found in Michigan tied the finist known at MS 64 Red. But Coin Facts list only these three and none of them are MS 64 Red:

The finest Uncirculated "Doubled Die" Brown example graded by PCGS is a single MS-62BN.

The finest Uncirculated "Doubled Die" Red-Brown example graded by PCGS is a single MS-62RB.

The finest Uncirculated "Doubled Die" Red example graded by PCGS is a single MS-65RD.

So if this info is correct and with the two Jim's know about then there are 7 total out there so far. But who knows with 544,375,000 in Circulation you would think there would be more then only 7 out there.

6. huntsman53

huntsman53 Supporter**

I really don't get any publications on coins, so I don't get updates on what is found and how many exists! I am sure that you all are correct, that more specimens exist. With the mintage, surely more will be found with the exception of the two rolls or more confiscated and destroyed by the Secret Service.

Frank

Draft saved Draft deleted