1969 Lincoln Moon Cent

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by coinage 10, Dec 20, 2006.

1. coinage 10

coinage 10 New Member

12/20/2006 1969 Lincoln Cent with Tribute to Moon Landing

I thought I’d submit this crazy Lincoln Cent that was acquired in 1970. After a bit of searching I found nothing regarding it. I’m hoping someone out there might have a clue about its origin.

All in all, the alteration on the obverse face was rather neatly done (notice the care taken not to overlap any of the relevant details of the coin). Consider the tiny area where the earth, astronauts, surface and craft – in orbit and landed position – are shown. Of course there’s the date as well.

I guess it’s probably of little value, but perhaps someone might have seen one. Any information would be most appreciated!

Thanks, A.J.

Attached Files:

razorblaydesjr and swamp yankee like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

coinage:
    Nice, but it is a post mint product, counterstamp.
    As you said: a memento of the moon landing, with little value, still a fun find.

4. Coinlover

Coinlover The Coin Collector

i seen one of those before over at the treasurenet forums. i have 1 conterstamped coin. it is a 1976 cent with the state outline of texas on it. i am wondering why someone would do this type of thing. to me, it would'nt be worth wasting time outlining a cent.

5. coinage 10

coinage 10 New Member

12/22/2006

Thank you both for responding. Yes, it is nice, but almost microscopic. I suppose my curiosity was more as to the motive in the extrinsic or commercial sense. If there aren’t that many out there, then perhaps it was a private victory in the form of a tribute. Why show such detail barely discernable to the naked eye? There is the macro or infinitely large, and of course the infinite nature of the micro.

I have a 1970-S DDO Cent with a tiny “eagle” counterstamp above the liberty motto. You can well imagine my feelings about that bit o’ work!

Thanks again, A.J.

swamp yankee likes this.
  6. wolves69

wolves69 New Member

The Apollo and moon were origianally stamped and sold during the moon landing mission. Later, they dumped a lot into circulation. I've acquired two in circulation.

As for the outline of texas, there was a resurgance of coin collecting during the bicentennial. Everything was 1976. A very popular Christmas gift was a penny board with 50 State-counterstamped 1976 pennies. I got one for a present when I was seven....

Hope this helps...

7. Bogie

Bogie Member

That is pretty cool I have a similarly stamped coin its a 1976 US Cent with a Moose head stamped in it

8. wolves69

wolves69 New Member

LOL, I wonder what that represented? Elks Lodge? or the Grand Order of the Moose?

9. karrlot

karrlot Senior Member

I found a 1976 penny with the liberty bell on the obverse. Its pretty cool. I would like to figure out how to do that without a huge $ investment.

10. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

It's not hard, you can buy letter punches, custom punches - just about anything you want for a couple bucks each.

11. seacap

seacap New Member

I too found a moon cent in my change, found yours while looking to see what I had found. Still know very little about it, except that if you have one, and I have one of the same it's probably not some guy in a garage that made mine.... I'll save mine!!

12. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

I bought a bunch of counterstamped cents including the same one that the op has, at the coin show a while ago. They're pretty common and cheap.

13. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Now I know what is meant by the term "Moon Money".

TIF likes this.
  14. StandingPride95

StandingPride95 New Member

Cool it seems like there a quite a bit of these stamped coins out there. Just found my first today stamped with arizona state. Be cool to find a oon landing one like this

15. seacap

seacap New Member

Thanks for the replys!

16. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

There are folks that collect counterstamped coins. Most don't cost a great deal. Many years ago some were counterstamped and used as advertising. Almost like trade tokens.

17. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

It's possible to put together a set with one of these for each of the moon landings. They may also exist for some of the other Apollo missions as well but I'm not sure about that.

18. omahaorange

omahaorange Active Member

My flea market guy finds these for me all the time. I have about half the states in my set, along with some other interesting stamps. You can find several Masonic stamped ones. Mine collection runs the gamut from the Kennedy, to a marijuana leaf, to Santa. Just got one yesterday with the words "War or Peace" stamped next to Lincoln's mouth. The cent is dated 1964, about the time of escalating US involvement in the Vietnam War. Just kinda makes you think.

19. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

I know this is an older thread, but I just found a 1969 cent counterstamped July 20 with the lunar lander. Same coin as the OP

20. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

I've never seen one of these coins with the Moon Landing Counter stamp.

21. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

YUUUUUP.

Draft saved Draft deleted