1968 no mint mark Roosevelt Dime

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by kangayou, Feb 2, 2010.

1. kangayou

kangayou Junior Member

Looking through my daily pocket change I found a 1968 dime with no "d" , "s" nor "p" on the front nor the back and am wondering if it is one of the early 1968 pressings before resuming mint markings on dimes that year ? Some web resources I've looked at say it is worth 10 cents and is very common and then others say otherwise.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

It's a Philadelphia minted dime. Philly didn't place mint marks on coins until 1979 or 80. keep looking tho

BTW: Your pics are too small, may be time to register with photobucket to place your links here next time. :thumb:

Tim Lackie Jr likes this.
  4. kangayou

kangayou Junior Member

Thank you for the FAST response !
    I am so hooked , I can't help but to keep trying.

5. phaliciamarie

phaliciamarie New Member

no mint mark 1968 roosevelt dime

The 1968-S ''No S'' Proof Dime

Jaime Hernandez - October 18, 2006

When contemplating some of the most intriguing Modern US coins, several of the No S Proof coins come in mind. In particular, the 1968-S Proof Dime -- the first date for the Roosevelt Dime Proofs without the "S" mint mark. After thorough research, experts concluded that the "S" mint mark was not punched into the die creating this new variety. The mistake must have been caught by mint employees early in the process as only a few examples managed to escape. This was also the first date for any series of US coins where the "S" mint mark was omitted.

Walter Breen's "Encyclopedia of US Coins" reported 6 known at the time of publishing. However, some experts in the field concluded there were more than 6 but less than 12 in existence. Currently the PCGS Population Report shows 15 examples in all grades: six coins in Proof 67 and four in Proof 68 (without the Cameo designation). For the Cameo designation, one has been graded Proof 66 Cameo and the three highest graded are in Proof 68 Cameo. Whatever numbers of examples exist today, we know for certain it is a very small quantity. We may never know for sure the exact amount but owning an example with such intriguing history behind it can be a story of its own.

If one would have acquired an example back in 1999 it would have proven to be a wise decision. Some of the few major appearances for these coins have been through major auction firms. For example, in 1999 a PCGS PR 68 example realized $6,038. Since then, the 1968-S "No S" Proof Dime has appreciated efficiently in price. The most recent sale in 2006 saw a PR 68 Cameo example sell in a Heritage Auction for $48,875. One prior sale was in 2005 for a PR 68 example which fetched $32,200 at auction.

Since its discovery, the 1968 No "S" proof dime has not only proven to be scarce but has performed very well in the collectables coin market. It might be a while until another example makes its next appearance. This variety is considered by many as a true modern rarity in its own league. One thing is certain -- the availability will only become scarcer and with its track record the price might be much higher than today's prices.
    check out pcgs.com they have tons of info on this coin i have one to am getting it sold tomorrow :) hope this helps you

6. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

The coin in question did not appear to be a Proof example.

*wolf7* and Tim Lackie Jr like this.
  7. happyhunting

happyhunting New Member

can you please let us know how your sale went.......... I beleive I also may have one, and am excited to know your outcome :D

8. hamman88

hamman88 Spare some change, sir?

You "believe" you have one? It is very easy to tell you if have one or not.

9. happyhunting

happyhunting New Member

Well I have one, but I've seen some posts on other sites that say It's suposed to be a proof or something? Does that mean it's in a set and not circulated? I'm a total newbee and just discovered this yesterday. Just don't want to get to excited over a dime and find out it's only worth a dime. lol

DJsMom and Tim Lackie Jr like this.
  10. kangayou

kangayou Junior Member

When I posted the original thread about 1 year ago , I too was "total newbee". It makes it a lot easier to identify if it is still in the original US Mint packaging. Short of that , just post some clear large photographs and you will get opinions. Some experts may be interested enough to start asking question about "die markers" if it looks like it could be something good. By the way I am still a "newb" :)

11. happyhunting

happyhunting New Member

Thanks, I'll keep looking. I'm reading that the back torch is more defined and that the edges are more square...........wondering if it went into circulation if these might dull...........if it's only worth ten cents, it was still an exciting 24 hours :) thanks for the response.

12. Dff222

Dff222 New Member

I tried to find web links for how to identify this missing mint mark for the dimes. Can anyone help me? I have a set mint sets (68, 70, 73)and I am assuming the dimes are philly (no mint mark) ... but how could I tell? Thank you.

13. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

Some of these '68-(P) dimes can be highly Proof Like and difficult for novices to distinguish from a proof. There was a little trouble back in the '70's with PL Philly examples being substituted into '68 proof sets.

If you look at enough of these it's not too difficult to differentiate them. Square rims on both sides are seen exclusively on proofs. Even though BU strikes can be superb they are rarely as sharp as proof strikes.

FinishedWalkout likes this.
  14. ML94539

ML94539 Senior Member

15. coloda

coloda New Member

i have a 1968 dime with no mint mark and don't know if its rare

16. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

More than likely you have a common, ordinary Business Strike dime struck at the Philadelphia Mint (which did not use a mintmark in 1968). However, if you have a 1968 Proof Dime without a mintmark then you have something valuable. Not likely but very, very, very, very, very slightly possible.

17. Shoewrecky

Shoewrecky Coin Hoarder

Hobo,
    The question that should have been asked, did Coloda read any of the above threads? If so he would more than likely answered his own question...........................

18. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Apparently that is too hard. It is easier to ask the question and have someone answer the question for you (again).

*wolf7* likes this.
  19. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I know it's very difficult to have to answer the same questions over and over and over again, and I think you guys succeeded in scaring the newcomer away.

Chris

20. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Yeah - but it is the darn phone cameras that is causing this. Everyone who has a moments thought about a circulating coin now snaps a picture and uploads it to coin talk. I think that, FWIW, we should get a standard answer and just post the link to it for these requests. If they want to become part of the community, they will. Most, i believe are not interested. They are just doing their spastic internet phone twitering.

Ruben

*wolf7* likes this.
  21. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Okay, then maybe we should make it a requirement that to become a member of CT, each person must have a DSLR, stereomicroscope, copy stand, a lifetime subscription to Playboy and drive a Ferrari.

Chris

Cecelia Valverde and tomfiggy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted