1968 cent error?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by bliss70, Apr 12, 2005.

1. bliss70

bliss70 Junior Member

This is my first attempt at finding an error so please bare with me. This is a 1968 cent found in some change. It has no mint mark and when looking at it with a magnifying glass I can see that one, the L in liberty has a dot on it, it is almost touching the i. The Words In God We Trust seem to be touching the rim of the coin as well. There also seems to be a notch or something at Lincoln's throat above the tie. The 6 in the date seems to also have a dot inside. On the reverse there is a dot above the T in Cent. The letters also look spaced apart too much in America. The fg seems to be resting on the memorial. Of course this could be my eyes playing tricks on me or I am just hoping to hard to find an error? lol Thank you for any comments and suggestions.
    These pictures are with my scanner, I am trying to figure out how to get really close without distorting them.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Madman

Madman New Member

There are several things that could account for the things you are seeing. The "dots" in the letters or numbers are most likely die chips, which shows that the die is starting to wear out. The spacing in "AMERICA" looks normal in the picture and the location the designers intials also look normal. I can't see the notch in the throat in the picture, so I can't say what that could be.

4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

It's not unusual to find small variations like you mention. They are due to die wear, the coin being struck very slightly off center, mechanical doubling etc.

In other words - this is a normal coin.

5. lawdogct

lawdogct Coin Collector

Your image is too dark to tell, but I just happened to see this article on coppercoins.com the other night. If you have a loop (magnifying class) check to see how your coin compairs to THIS 1968 cent

6. bliss70

bliss70 Junior Member

Thank you so much for that link. That is exactly what I see under the magnifying glass, but I am not sure how to get my pictures lighter and clearly visible. I will work on it more tonight, again thank you for your replies. Just learning about errors and do want to learn all I can.

7. lawdogct

lawdogct Coin Collector

No worries, changed computers, now I can see it better. I'm no expert so I can't say for sure, and besides, pictures are nothing compared to the coin in hand. Look for a response from mikediamond, as he is one of the "resident" error expert IMHO ;)

8. Madman

Madman New Member

OOOOOOO!!!! A 1968 DDO! Now that is a cool find! Hope you find it is the same! Keep in mind that Coppercoins.com has very reasonable attribution services. Cheapest that I have ever found, no to mention, they are really nice guys.

9. bliss70

bliss70 Junior Member

Thanks, I am hoping its the same too! It sure looks like it to me, but I want to get a better picture for everyone here.

10. Madman

Madman New Member

Best of luck!

11. Ali Al-Hazen

Ali Al-Hazen New Member

There doesn't seem to be anything particularly valuable about this coin over and above 1 Cent, but thanks for posting this!
    If there was something weird, we'd tell you!

12. lawdogct

lawdogct Coin Collector

$2 - $8 depending on condition. Is it a 1955 DD? No. But hey, any day I can trade a penny in pocket change for $2 is a good day to me IMHO ;)

But personally, it'd be a great day just because I'd have found a recognized error type and it'd be in my collection.

13. bliss70

bliss70 Junior Member

Ali maybe you misunderstood. I am excited at the prospect of finding an error not looking to get rich.Honestly I was a little taken aback by your post, It seems as if you are replying sarcastically or belittling my post. As lawdogct pointed out, to find the error and place it in my collection would be the thrill. Although one cent for 2-8 its not a bad profit either lol. Thank you lawdogct.:)

14. Madman

Madman New Member

Its like being a kid again! I love finding an error or variety! Somehow seems to make it all worthwhile.

15. bliss70

bliss70 Junior Member

you are so right madman :) The thrill ........

16. Madman

Madman New Member

Wife and I felt the same way when we found our first clipped planchet and broadstruck coin. Keep hunting! They are out there! Don't let anyone tell you it is a waste of time! Hunting is half the fun!

17. bliss70

bliss70 Junior Member

Thank you, I shall continue to hunt!! As a matter of fact I found a 1919 cent which I think has an error on the reverse. I am questioning wether or not to post it here as I do not want to bother people with minor things but I also can not learn unless I ask questions.

18. GDJMSP

Post away bliss ;)

19. Madman

Madman New Member

PLease, PLease post post post! This forum is tons of fun! Not everyone will be sarcastic or rude, most will be really nice! GDJMSP is very knowledgable and very nice I point out! IMO it is great to see what other collectors have and are finding!

Rosa Sanchez likes this.
  20. bliss70

bliss70 Junior Member

Thank you GDJMSP, well here is a picture of the 1919 cent. How would I go about embedding images in my post so that i can make them larger? The 1919 is well worn but on the reverse it looks as though the E in ONE has a line in it or maybe something under it?

Attached Files:

21. GDJMSP

With attachments it's the file size of the pic that is limited ( 100 kb ) - not the dimensions. But they do go hand in hand to a degree.

If you have a personal web site, most ISP's provide their users space for these, you can make the pic as big as you wish. Then just post a link to the pic or use the Image function ( the little yellow icon on the left above the center of the posting box ). Images are different than attachments in that the file size is not limited. But the image does have to be hosted on your own site to use this.

Draft saved Draft deleted