1967 Quarter error?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Gone_Mad, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Gone_Mad

Gone_Mad Junior Member

I have a 1967 Quarter and in the words "IN GOD WE TRUST" the U in trust seems to be the number 4. I have looked at it with a magnifying glass and it still looks like a 4 to me. I can not find any info on this. all I find is how they used a V instead of a U on some coins long ago. Any help is very much appreciated. I'll try to take some pics of the coin and post them.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Welcome.

Photos would help.

The 'U' in TRUST on your coin should be a 'U', not a 'V'. The 'V' only appears on Standing Liberty Quarters and Peace Dollars.

4. Gone_Mad

Gone_Mad Junior Member

1967 Quarter error

okay i took some pics hope this helps.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. byrd740

byrd740 Numismatist

Thats neat! Seems like a die chip.

6. Gone_Mad

Gone_Mad Junior Member

will that die chip make it worth more then 25 cents?

7. byrd740

byrd740 Numismatist

I really don't know. Let let some of the other people have thier say.

8. huntsman53

huntsman53 Supporter**

Gone_Mad,

First off, welcome to Coin Talk! IMHO, the look of the "U" is due to Post Mint damage and not a Die Chip. The coin is pretty rough and has taken a lot iof hits.

Frank

9. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

I agree.

10. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

Are you sure. I would think post mint damaged would be a mark into the coin not out of the coin like this appears to be. I could be wrong though. In any case, if this is a die chip...I don't think its worth more than 25 cents because of the condition of the coin.

11. huntsman53

huntsman53 Supporter**

Camaro,

It is Post Mint damage due to a hit on the "U"! The "U" took a hit on the vertical bar and the loop right at the junction where they meet which spread the vertical bar South futher into the field. See the close-up cropped picture below.

Frank

Attached Files:

12. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Think about an airplane crash. It is possible for the plane to crash into a mountain or a hill and not affect the valley below. Similarly it appears something hit the raised letter 'U' and did not affect the nearby fields. It happens.

13. foundinrolls

foundinrolls Roll Searching Enthusiast

Hi,

You can see the metal that has been moved and you can see where the metal was moved too. As suggested above. The coin is damaged and the damage caused the U to have an unusual shape.

Anything could have done the damage to the coin. It did not come from the mint that way.

Thanks,
    Bill

14. byrd740

byrd740 Numismatist

Guess I didn't give it a real good look.:eek:

15. nicholas.silva.18

nicholas.silva.18 New Member

I have a 1967 quarter that seems to be an error, Any thoughts? uploadfromtaptalk1408690111626.jpg

16. CamaroDMD

It looks to me (if that rim issue near "In God We Trust" is what you mean) that it's post-mint damage and not a real error. Something happened to that coin causing this between it entering circulation in 1967 and today.

17. nicholas.silva.18

nicholas.silva.18 New Member

OK. I don't know much about coins to be honest, I just started collecting. The edge of the rim bent in like that and distorting "In god we trust" just look awkward to me. Thanks

18. CamaroDMD

Something happened to this coin during the nearly 50 years it has been in circulation. This is damage...not a mint error. But keep searching...you never know what you will find! There are errors out there.

Briboy07 likes this.
  19. Tammy West

Tammy West New Member

Hey everyone, here's a 1986 quarter I found. Just thought I would get your thoughts on the error. Around the top edge and right edge it looks as if it was off centered when punched. What do y'all think and is it worth anything? Thanks

Attached Files:

20. CamaroDMD

It was struck slightly misaligned. While technically an error, this is very common and doesn’t add value. It would need to be significantly misaligned to have any value above face.

21. Tammy West

Tammy West New Member

Thanks so much

Draft saved Draft deleted