1967 Half - Grade and Value?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by mpaulson, Nov 16, 2005.

1. mpaulson

mpaulson New Member

I aquired this coin in a roll with others of similar grade, this one I believe was the best of the roll.
    Please Grade, I don't konw the suttle differences between 65-66-67-68-69 etc. I can post as many pictures as you like, I did have trouble getting a good shot as the coin was SO shinny, and reflected my ring flash as well as my studio lights. I can post close up's of areas also.
    So again , the grade, ,and the approx value.

thank you.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mpaulson

mpaulson New Member

back

this is the back of the coin.

Attached Files:

4. mpaulson

mpaulson New Member

more of front

here are more picts of the coins in different lighting.

Attached Files:

5. mpaulson

mpaulson New Member

oh, and also it's NOT a SMS coin,

6. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

mpaulson,
    How did you determine that it wasn't from the SMS sets? I'm asking because that's exactly what mine looks like.

Attached Files:

7. mpaulson

mpaulson New Member

the finish from these ones are not the same as the ones from my SMS, also there was a whole roll of them. Is there another way to tell?

8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

THAT is a tough call to make. Even the professional graders can't always determine an SMS from a business strike. As for there being a roll - that doesn't matter. You can buy rolls of Proof coins too.

As for the grade, I'll say 65 just because it's so clean. The coin was struck with worn out dies, you can tell from the orange peel effect. Also the details are poor - look at the hair on the obverse and the eagle's tail feathers & shield on the reverse. Much of the detail is simply not there.

9. mpaulson

mpaulson New Member

cool, thanks for the info GDJMSP, what I forgot to share is that I didn't purchase the roll, I got it from the bank. And with your inside that it's from a won die, didn't the SMS use special dies and replace any starting to be worn? I think the orange peal effect cuased me to have a hard time getting a good photo. So, about 20-30$ range in price?? So even if there is no wear and no scratches and almost perfect it can get a lower grade, becuase of the strike? what constitutes this or any coin from a higher MS value? thanks again!!

Marcus

Draft saved Draft deleted