1966 Canadian Dollar Beads...

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Bonedigger, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

Was wondering if there were any "BEAD" experts out there. Here is a 1966 Canadian Silver Dollar and I was wondering if these are small or large beads around the edge.

Thnx
    B

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Tbirde

Tbirde Senior Member

With the scarce small beads variety the A in REGINA points between 2 beads. The A points to a bead with the large beads variety.

4. bromac4

bromac4 Senior Member

Actually it's the "I" in Regina pointing to the bead that makes it a small beads dolllar.The coin in the picture is a large beads.

Bill

5. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

Well, that's what I suspected, with only 450 or so of the Small Variety minted. Thank you for the information and taking a look.

B

6. Tbirde

Tbirde Senior Member

Charlton's Standard Catalog of Canadian Coins does use the I as a reference but the A is used by Haxby's Coins of Canada. Both are equally valid.

7. bromac4

bromac4 Senior Member

My mistake. I don't look at my "Coins of Canada" very often.I generally use the Charlton as a reference and that's where I got my info.

Bill

8. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Please can you post photos from both Charlton & Haxby to show us what to look for.

Aidan.

9. Doc S

Doc S New Member

Both are correct.

I have a 1966 sm beads SD and the A is dead centre between the beads and the I points right at one. Mine is starting to tone...does THAT drop its value???

Also my understanding is that they were never actually in circulation...just in mint sets and most never made it out when they discovered the sm. bead variety...some 485 or so.

10. planemikey

planemikey New Member

Is the Charlton standard catalogue guide in us dollars or Canadian dollars ?

Draft saved Draft deleted