1964 Steel cent?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Dockwalliper, Oct 27, 2003.

1. Dockwalliper

Dockwalliper Coin Hoarder

This pic is supposed to be a 1964 steel penny. The owner says it will stick to a magnet. Anyone ever hear of such a thing?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Hammer at the Ready Moderator

I've heard of people coating a cent with something like Mercury (try not to handle it too much LoL), but I've never heard of an actual steel cent from 1964. If something like that were to be authenticated, it would surely be big news to the coin collecting world.

Cheech9712 and sel w like this.
  4. rnealw

rnealw loony bin Material

How odd. . . . .

5. metal_monster

metal_monster New Member

NEVER heard of this. I know of several mint errors in that year but not this. & thax to you I spent the better part of my lunch hour tring to stick 64 cents to a %$^&*# magnet.

Edited by GDJMSP 11/5/03 - let's go easy with the %$#&^ ;)

love old coins and sel w like this.
  6. Ozone

Ozone New Member

Yes, there IS such a thing as a 1964 steel penny. That year, they were thinking about switching the copper penny's materials...So, they gave all the US Senators a 1964 steel penny...When the Senate struck down the idea, the Mint asked for the steel cents to be returned...Most of the Senators complied, but some said that they had misplaced it or that they had lost it. Because they were never released to the pubic, now they are "illegal", and if the Secret Service finds the location of one of them, they'll confiscate them. There are just a few left in private hands, and there weren't many when they were created anyway...

7. Dockwalliper

Well, you have your information a little mixed up.The year was 1974 and the pennys were made of aluminum. The mint was so sure that the aluminum cent was going to be approved that they produced 1.5 million of them. They passed out a few dozen to key members of congress. When the copper miners lobbyists defeated the change the mint had to scramble to get the sample coins back. One congressman walked his coin over to the Smithsonian and donated it. You can find the story in the Sept 2002 issue of COINage mag.

Cheech9712 and Steve K like this.
  8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

There were 16 examples of the aluminum cents distributed to members of Congress. And one of them was indeed donated to the Smithsonian - this is it - [​IMG]

Of the remaining 15 - 7 were recovered & 8 remain unaccounted for yet today.

Cheech9712 and cplradar like this.
  9. laz

laz New Member

Very nice picture! Yes,it's true,no 1964 steel Cents exist that were intentionally issued. It is possible that this coin may be a wrong planchet/wrong metal error.This would be a coin struck on a planchet intended for another(probably foreign) issue. Is it such a error? Wrong planchet errors are very rare and the odds are against it! The most likely thing is that your Cent was altered. I even have one that's been chromed! ~ Jim

Cheech9712, john65999 and sel w like this.
  10. Dockwalliper

Heres a better pic. The coin appears to be copper coated(wearing off) and steel underneath. And sticks to a magnet.

Attached Files:

sel w likes this.
  11. Shamrock454

Shamrock454 New Member

64 Steel Penny

I'm the owner of the penny Dock is talking about. My wife brought it to my attention as it seemed odd that a 40 year old penny would still be shiny (We were going through a bag of pennies looking for steelies and wheaties) I dropped it on a magnet and it stuck like glue. I'm doubting that it's copper on the surface, as there is no oxidation or tarnish...it looks better than pennies I have from the 90's. I'm at a loss. If it's real, when the heck did it come from...if it's fake, who the heck would bother?
    The lack of tarnish almost makes me wonder if it's gold plated.
    As I've said, I've never seen anything like it.

sel w and TonkawaBill like this.
  12. Dockwalliper

Looks like someone else found a cent like this one only a 1959. The thread is in the Error forum.

sel w and TonkawaBill like this.
  13. laz

laz New Member

The 1959 appears to be plated,probably with steel or some other magnetic metal. ~ Jim

sel w and cplradar like this.
  14. jrw

jrw New Member

Magnetic Plating?

That raises a good question. Can plating material be magnetic?
    The 1959 penny I have seems to have a steel composition shell on the outside. I suppose you could plate metal using an iron based solution but it would oxidize in the long term. I just don't know. Pictures below.

Thanks,
    Jack

Attached Files:

sel w likes this.
  15. laz

laz New Member

Jack,Check my reply in the Error World forum.The rim has a thin steel bans encasing it from a old bracelet. ~ Jim

sel w likes this.
  16. jrw

jrw New Member

1959D Penny

Hi Laz,

Received your message and posted reply in the error forum. Thanks for taking the time to rely.

Jack

sel w likes this.
  17. Shswn Knous

Shswn Knous New Member

I have 1964 steal penny stocks to magnet and I'm trying to find something on it

sel w likes this.
  18. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Could you weigh it and post images?

19. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

PMD, plated

Coinchemistry 2012 likes this.
  20. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

It sticks to the magnet because it's been coated with some sort of metal by someone with nothing better to do.

21. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Interesting, we would love to see it, can you take a picture?

Cheech9712 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted