1964 d silver penny

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by diolar magnum, Jun 13, 2005.

1. diolar magnum

diolar magnum New Member

Hello all,

While hunting through my late grandmother's numismatics box, I happened on what appears to be a 1964 d penny that is silver in color. I do not believe it is silver itself, as it has a ring very similar to a normal copper penny, but if it's not, it's very convincing. the metal itself looks more 'nickel' in composition. I don't know that much about numismatics, but I will post pictures below for your perusal. Any feedback would be most appreciated. Thank you.

Diolar

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cojaro

Cojaro New Member

possibly it was struck on a nickel planchet instead of a penny planchet

and you're right, it doesnt look silver, it would be lighter in color if it were

4. diolar magnum

diolar magnum New Member

is that possible? it has no apparent disfiguration of any kind. in fact, it looks DEAD on like any other 60's cent I have.

5. lawdogct

lawdogct Coin Collector

it is possible it was struck in a foreign coin planchet. Remember, the US Mint produces more than US coins. My first guess is that it was plated or dipped. Many plated coins have been produced by home science experiment kits, once very popular at toy stores.

6. diolar magnum

diolar magnum New Member

ah ha! That is one view I had not considered. That's probably it.

7. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

Can't be...I saw what looked to me a cent struck on a nickel planchet but that was a fake...a nickel planchet is larger than a cent...only a smaller planchet could be fed into a minting press...such as a dime.....not anything larger.

Speedy

8. OldDan

OldDan 共和党

If a person wanted to, wouldn't a cent die fit on a nickel press? Then wouldn't you have a chance to have a one cent nickel? Just a question for you Speedy!

9. Speedy

Alright...a few things wrong with this coin first of all....its not the size of a nickel...that would be #1

Next just the other day I saw what looked to be a cent struck on a nickel planchet at the coin shop...this guy had bought it and sent it to NGC...they sent it back Problem...he sent it to PCI where it came back as fake...nickel plated cent.

A few things wrong...a nickel would not fit into a minting press on a cent because of the die collar...it would be smaller....now as for a cent die on a nickel press...you run into the same thing...what about the collar...

So in other words....I don't think so---now I'll be the first one to say that I'm not too smart but this was talked about on the WINS Talk list and also with the dealer up town and we all agree that there is no such thing as a cent on a nickel planchet.

Speedy

10. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Speedy - I think the situation OldDan is describing is a deliberate striking by a mint employee - not a mistake. But you are correct as well - even a deliberate act would not produce the coin in this thread.

About the only thing I can think of that makes any sense is struck on a foriegn planchet as already suggested.

11. Captainkirk

Captainkirk 73 Buick Riviera owner

Elemental Mercury metal sticks to copper very well and lasts a long time. Be careful, it also sticks tenaciously to gold.

12. Speedy

I wondered about that...but as you said...even if an employee had tired it wouldn't have done the coin in this thread...I think I'm right when I say this coin would be too small.

Speedy

13. bzcollektor

bzcollektor SSDC Life Member

Looks like a plated cent....
    The only way to tell would be to weigh it or do a specific
    gravity test. Some older members may remember the
    chemistry sets of the 50`s and 60`s. I used to plate
    coins as a kid with one of these chemistry sets.
    It should weigh 3.11 grams if it is a plated copper cent.

14. youngcollector

youngcollector U.S. coin collecter

I also agree it could be plated or It could be struck on a Phillipens planchet.

15. satootoko

satootoko Retired

16. NICK66

NICK66 Coin Hoarder

I was going to say that penny looks like it was dipped a bunch of times.

17. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Nowww Roy - don't forget. All ya need is the Da Vinci Codex and that stuff actually works :D

18. lawdogct

lawdogct Coin Collector

So does this mean your a repeated advocate of step #12, part B? :p

First time I've seen the link, so your efforts are appreciated :)

19. Justin1990

Justin1990 New Member

1964-D silver penny

20. Xetwnk

Xetwnk New Member

Wife recently found a silver-toned, normal- sized, 1964D penny. Flat, not-shiny finish. Magnetic but not s much so as a 1943 steel penny. Weighs 2.65 grams. Don't (yet) know how to measure specific gravity. Thoughts.. ?

21. rte

rte Well-Known Member

In the chrome plating process.
    Copper cents were used to test vats.
    First played in nickel before chrome.

You may have one with a nickel plating.

Draft saved Draft deleted