1964 Austraian sets

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Richard, May 27, 2004.

1. Richard

Richard New Member

Hi, I have two 1964 Austrian 9-piece PL (proof-like?) sets that I can find nothing about. I believe they are "Grillparzer Error" sets since that was the notation I made after buying them. Does anyone know anything about these? Can anyone tell me who might be interested in buying them? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Richard

peter crowley likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

It is a Proof error set that was struck in 1964 - no idea why they list it as an error set - but they do. Market value listed for this set is $365.

There is however another 9 piece Proof set from the same year that is not an error set - it's value is $55.

I'm afraid I can offer no information on how to determine one from the other. But if you could ever find another to compare it to - it should be easy enough to see.

peter crowley likes this.
  4. satootoko

satootoko Retired

The "error" set is listed as PS3 in Krause, and includes two coins that are not in the less expensive PS4 - KM#2895.2, a silver 25 schilling; and KM#2896, a silver 50 schilling.

The Grillparzer reference is 19th Century Austrian poet and playright Franz Grillparzer, whose portrait is on the reverse of the 25 schilling. The 50 schilling commemorates the '64 Winter Olympics at Innsbruck.

The 25 schilling in the error set has 9 shields in the obverse design, and only 3,660 proofs were minted. The other version (KM#2895.1) has 10 shields, and a mintage of 36,000 proofs and 1,664,000 circulation coins. Both reverses appear on a number of other 25 schilling and higher denomination coins from the mid-60s into the 21st Century, but Krause uses the term "error" without further explanation only for KM#2895.2. :confused:

5. NAVY CHIEF

NAVY CHIEF Active Member

What Krause number? KM#2895, KM#2895.1 OR KM#2895.2

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted