1963-D Franklin half MM opinions

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by jon67, Jan 6, 2009.

1. jon67

jon67 Loves Lincoln's

i just got this and it looks like a D over horizontal D. aside from the postmint damage which i am aware of what do you think. thanks in advance for looking...Jon

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jazzcoins

jazzcoins New Member

I would have to say Machine doubling the D looks like it was chopped and the marks i indicated in red are simular in nature I don't no exactly what they are they seem flat die deformation maybe they don;t look like die chips to flat

Jazzcoins joe

Attached Files:

4. DJP7x0s

DJP7x0s Sometimes Coins Arouse Me

Ill bump this one back to the top. Im curious what that is too.

5. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Me to I have a few Franklin books to dust off. be back

6. jazzcoins

jazzcoins New Member

The mint mark is not a horizontal over the other mint mark it;s Machine Doubling Look at the MM do you see how the mint mark was struck a loose die and the other objects are die deformation the arrrows in red indicate the exstensive machine damage to that area

Jazzcoins Joe

Attached Files:

7. jon67

jon67 Loves Lincoln's

Actually that scuff on the mint mark is post mint. and in my OP i stated that i knew of it. the second MM underneath is quite different. i know what machine doubling is and this aint it. because machine doubled letters face the same way not sideways.

8. jazzcoins

jazzcoins New Member

The second image under the mint mark is flat and there;s one east of the mint mark so I would think tha'ts some kind of deformation of the die so I think it out rules Horizontal MM over MM .

The mint mark does appear to look like a hit since I examined the coin further, but i'm still skeptical about it
    jazz

9. huntsman53

huntsman53 Supporter**

Jon,

IMHO, it is not an RPM as the underlying feature does not really have the appearance of another "D" and there is no evidence showing within the inside of the Primary Mintmark. I would venture to say that this extra feature is a result of a chip out of the Die which was smoothed on it's edges by polishing during repairs to the Die. It is quite possible that the Mint employees were aware of this chip out of the Die but decided to make it less noticeable with repairs, so they could meet production demands.

See the edited and cropped picture attached that has been converted to sepia tone.

Frank

Attached Files:

10. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

I look thur my book I could not find a thing. Huntman53 is right plus it maybe the planchett to?

11. jon67

jon67 Loves Lincoln's

the more i look at it i think he is right also it does look like a smoothed out die chip. the thing that was to the coins left of the mm was on the holder. thanks for all the opinions...Jon

Draft saved Draft deleted