1962 D Steel Penny

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by pw_cc_runner, May 12, 2005.

1. pw_cc_runner

pw_cc_runner Junior Member

A few years back my grandfather told me about his coin collection and I have been bugging him to show me ever since. This afternoon he informed me that some guy is comming to buy the whole lot, my heart sank. I was in awe when I finnally saw what he had but I noticed among a box of normal looking pennies there was a steel one. From collecting as a little kid I am aware of the 1943 Steel pennies but this one was a 1962. I'm sure there are more than this one but I was just wondering if anyone knew why they made a steelie in 1962.

Thanks

P.S. I wish he would just let me have the collection because of the history it has not because it is worth a lot. I could've spent days looking through those coins. They were just amazing.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Howdy pw_cc_runner - Welcome to the Forum !!

They didn't make any steel cents in 1962. I couldn't begin to guess what your grandpa has. Well maybe 1 possibility - a cent struck on a foriegn planchet. But that would be about it.

4. pw_cc_runner

please speak newbie... planchet is that like a punch or something. The coin didnt have any weird raised parts or discoloration or anything to an untrained eye it seemed real. I'll see if i can scan it.

5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

A planchet is the blank disk of metal that the coin is struck on. Back in the '60s the US used to mint coins for other countries as well as our own. So it's possible that one of the blanks for a foriegn coin was struck as a US cent.

6. pw_cc_runner

so that means that technically it could be authentic but is just a mistake. Wow! I might have to snap that one up before he sells the lot. Im afraid that the guy is going to take advantage of my grandpa. I sure hope he doesnt get ripped off. He thinks he has 40k in uncirculated pre 1880 silver dolars not to mention the $20 gold coins and all the peace dollars and various half dollars too.

7. The_Cave_Troll

The_Cave_Troll The Coin Troll

If his collection is anywhere near that valuable he should look into having one of the professional auction companies sell it.

8. pw_cc_runner

well I am trying my hardest to get him to hold onto them because he doesnt need the money by any means. He has uncirculated confederate paper money and $1000 in consecutive silver certificates. I could list stuff all day... I guess some of his silver morgans have 8 tail feathers too

9. Daniel maike

Daniel maike New Member

I actually have a 1962 steel Penny perfect mint condition I was wondering myself if anybody else had one

10. Charlie Carroll

Charlie Carroll New Member

11. Charlie Carroll

I have one but I haven’t been able to find any information on it like they don’t exist a magnet don’t stick to it so it’s not steel

12. Charlie Carroll

I read something about them being stainless steel

13. frankjg

frankjg Well-Known Member

Post a picture in its own thread. It is more than likely just played in a classroom science experiment.

Worth one cent.

14. Charlie Carroll

I have a steel 1962 I have had for years but I can’t nothing on it ither. There’s bound to be a story about but I’ve read where others have one and they ask the same question what’s the story

15. Charlie Carroll

16. Charlie Carroll

It’s not fake it’s identical to a regular Lincoln cent now how did this get made when other people have one too

17. AnonymousCoinCollector

AnonymousCoinCollector Reintroduce silver coins to circulation!

It's plated. Not steel.
    Considered post mint damage.
    Over the years, 1000s have been posted on this forum by new members such as yourself. Worth 1 cent.

18. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

In 1944 about 39 left over steel planchets from the 3 mints (from the year before) minted coins that were supposed to be copper. I don't believe any steel cents from any other years (besides 1943, 1944) have been discovered.
    While it is possible another steel cent could turn up, but it would probably be in the 1944/1945 area.
    Yours is a damaged cent, worth .01. Unless it was coined on the same sized foreign planchet, but most foreign coins are different in size and weight from US coins. So lower valued foreign coins can't be substituted for US coins.
    Now, the exceptions are Panama and the Bahamas. Whose money is ALWAYS 1:1 with the US and most of their coins are the same size and weight as US coins.
    Weigh the coin. If it weighs 3.1 grams, it's a penny that has been plated, in a school science experiment. Or just for laughs.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
  19. Charlie Carroll

Plated with what what is the core they wasn’t making steel penny in 62 I’ve never known any penny other than war pennies being any thing close

20. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Somebody took a normal 1962-D cent from circulation and plated it. Probably with nickel or Zinc. Plating cents has been used for years as a high school chemistry lab experiment. The raw materials are cheap and the student gets to take home a cool reminder of the experiment.

It is not a mint error

21. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

And you can then take the 'silver' cent ( really zinc plated) and do part B and make it a 'gold' cent ( bright brass).

Draft saved Draft deleted