1962 d/d

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Digenes, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Digenes

Digenes Just a collector

Found this one and not sure if it could be a 1962 D/D. I know there is alot of Die Deteriation on the coin, but what I am mainly looking at is in the north west corner of the MM.

Thanks
    Dave

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. just coins

just coins New Member

I would say machine doublig I see indications also on the 2 and 6 flat like shelf images/

JC

4. bhp3rd

bhp3rd Die varieties, Gems

Look for splits in the ends of the "D" - the verticle

Found this one and not sure if it could be a 1962 D/D. I know there is alot of Die Deteriation on the coin, but what I am mainly looking at is in the north west corner of the MM.

Look for splits in the ends of the "D" - the verticle bar, top and/or bottom.

5. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I would think it is die deterioration if there appears like doubling on both sides of the numbers and mint mark as it appears in the photo, whereas machine doubling is almost always on just one side.

Jim

6. ryanbrooks

ryanbrooks Active Member

You have a point here ;) This is a nice one and defiantly a keeper! :thumb:

7. PaperDog13

PaperDog13 Member

what may i ask is a d/d?

PD13

8. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

The D/D refers to a repunched mintmark( RPM). For instance in the Lincoln series, up to and including 1989, the mint marks ( D for Denver, S for San Francisco) were punched into the working die before it struck coins. Sometimes the punch was not correctly done and it was struck again in a way that both ( or sometimes more than 2) mintmark strikes were visible. The original poster was asking if the D mintmark was one of these.

Jim

Draft saved Draft deleted