1961-D RPM (Jefferson Nickel) - What do you think?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Coinmelt, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Coinmelt

Coinmelt New Member

I'm new to doubled dies and repunched mintmarks. However, I believe this to be a 1961-D RPM Jefferson Nickel. CONECA's variety list has three RPMs for this year listed. I don't think these match any of the descriptions...wish they'd post some pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Click for larger image

Someone on another forum said it was most likely machine doubling but it's not flat and smashed. Sorry, the quality of the pictures aren't greatest. They were taken through my 10x-21mm loupe with a Sony Cybershot 7.2MP.

Your thoughts would be most appreciated.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

I only have photos of RPM 1 and 2....and this one doesn't match either. There is no RPM East listed in the CONECA files that I can find either.
    I'm leaning to Machine doubling as well.

Speedy

4. Aslanmia

Aslanmia Active Member

Coincidentily enough, I just happen to have an "unsearched" roll of 1961-D nickels sitting in my desk at home waiting to be "searched" (or re-searched would be more accurate).

Is there anything specific you're looking for in this date? I can keep it in mind when I search...

5. Coinmelt

Coinmelt New Member

Speedy, can you email me or upload those pics somewhere?

6. andy21us

andy21us Coin Hoarder

Please do, I just pick up a roll of 1961 D from the bank an I would like too know if I have any.

7. Coinmelt

Coinmelt New Member

Andy, how did you get specific year/mint from the bank? Just ask them if they had a roll of 1961-D? I usually go in and grab a box or $40 in rolls never thought of asking for specific dates. I doubt they would have them unless it was 2008 I was seeking.

8. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

No....and not obey copyright laws. The best thing I can do is to tell ya'll to try and find the Out of Print book on Jefferson Nickels by James Wiles.

Speedy

9. craton

craton New Member

I can't say if it's an RPM or not but it doesn't look like strike or "machine" doubling to me.

10. andy21us

andy21us Coin Hoarder

No, I just luck out. I pick up 8 rolls of nickels from a bank in town a week ago and got a roll of 1961 D's, a roll of 1961 P's and a roll of per 1960 which included a 39 D, 38 S and the rest were 40's and 50's. Someone screwed up and I luck out. The right place at the right time type of thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted