1956-D (Lamination Error or something else?)

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by tonylynch, Apr 23, 2006.

1. tonylynch

tonylynch RMO Collector

Found this one in a roll of wheats today.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tonylynch

tonylynch RMO Collector

Full Obverse

Attached Files:

4. tonylynch

tonylynch RMO Collector

Full Coin

Attached Files:

5. Charlie32

Charlie32 Coin Collector

Nice find.:thumb:

Charlie

6. PyrotekNX

PyrotekNX Senior Member

Your assumptions are correct.

7. cashelclan

cashelclan New Member

That is a Lamination Pull Off.Pull off is different from a peel.The layer was removed by the die(pull Off)

8. mikediamond

mikediamond Coin Collector

There's no such thing as a "lamination pull-off". You can have a lamination peel before the strike or after the strike. In this case it occurred after the strike. There's no way to tell exactly when the flake separated from the coin after it was struck.

9. cashelclan

cashelclan New Member

I was simply stating the most likely cause of the missing metal,not renaming a new coin diagnosis.Has anybody on this site tried being friendly to new members or does everybody play the part of the expert.I came here to make new friends and chat,not just sit there and grade everything everybody blogs.Im not a pro at anything.Im just here for the love of the hobby and hopefully meet some people who feel the same way I do about coins.So could you possibly go easy on me.

10. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

Regardless of what you call it, it is a nice find if you collect error coins. Almost appears to have some minor doublng on the date. I like those kind of errors. Different than the more common offsets. At coin shows there is a continuous increase in error coins.

11. tonylynch

tonylynch RMO Collector

Thanks for the comments and help everyone.

Carl, It's always fun to find these and other errors. I really need to get all the ones I have photographed and/or scanned.

12. foundinrolls

foundinrolls Roll Searching Enthusiast

Hi,
    It doesn't look like anyone was being unfriendly. Mike Diamond is an expert. He tries very hard to teach the correct terminology for an error when the situation arises. Looking at the post from an unbiased perspective, the term " lamination pull off" sounds like a term that needed to be clarified. For some of us, taking the time to clarify a definition of a term or explaining something that doesn't usually appear in the error language, so to speak, makes it easier than answering fifteen other posts asking what the definition is of an unheard of term.
    Have Fun,
    Bill

Draft saved Draft deleted