1947 Proof?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by kelvel, Nov 3, 2006.

1. kelvel

kelvel New Member

Hello,

I've never collected coins before, and I'm really trying to get a feel for what would be exciting to receive as a gift who is a coin collector. Now, this is for my father'n'law to be....so it is important to me that I get something interesting. I was thinking maybe a proof set from the year he was born? Please help! I don't have the first clue about where to search, or if there is something else that would be even more exciting to receive. I don't want to ask him as I really want it to be a surpise. His entire collection was stolen several years back, and he just got back into collecting...HELP Please!!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tcore

tcore Coin Collector

Welcome aboard kelvel! Yes, buying the father-in-law something is very important. Has he ever talked to you about what he's interested in? Proof sets, modern commemmoratives, gold, silver, mercury dimes, etc.? Maybe if you can find out, that will put you on the right path. You also have to think about how much money you want to spend. With coins, you can find things from a few cents to millions of dollars!

4. kelvel

kelvel New Member

Thank you for your quick response! Sadly he hasn't talked in lengths about it when i've been around. I'm looking to spend around $100-200 for this particular gift. I really want something that would strike his fancy...lol...I just wish I knew what it would be. Is it difficult to locate older proof sets? Or is this something that would cost WAY too much for me at this point?

5. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

Well a 1947 Proof set is going to be in the thousands and not in your price range (Plus trying to find one is going to be supper hard)---what I would suggest is go to the US Mints WebSite and order one of the new 3 piece ASE set...you can find it here..
    http://catalog.usmint.gov/webapp/wc...ctId=13812&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=12738
    It will cost $100 I think any collector would like it!
    Now if you want something from 1947 let me know and I'll check with some dealers that are online and see if they would have something that you might like and then I'll let you know---you could get a nice BU Walking Liberty Half Dollar for that price range...or if you want to get something eles you could get a gold coin or Platium <sp?> and I'm sure he would like that...or better yet get him a Gift Certificate to the US Mint and let him pick something himself!

Happy Hunting---I have some great father-in-law jokes but I won't post them :D

Speedy

6. Rono

Rono Senior Member

Howdy,

The US didn't make proof sets in 1947, but you can buy him a 20 Anniversary Silver Dollar set from the mint at www.usmint.gov as suggested.

Another alternative would be to put together either a date set or a date and mint mark set from 1947 of US coinage.

This is new enough that you could buy Uncirculated and most coin dealers have plastic holders for year sets. There were three mints working that year - Philadelphia with no mint mark, Denver with a D and San Francisco with an S.

Whatever you do DO NOT buy anything off of a TV ad or shopping channel. Their prices are normally 50-100% over retail and they are generally considered an offense to mankind by the numismatic community.

good luck and congrats,

rono

7. kelvel

kelvel New Member

OK, I called a local coin shop, and they said they had the Walking Liberty for around 50 and to do a whole year set from that year would cost around $100. Is this a good deal? Or should I continue to look? This is all very confusing when I know nothing about coins. So, the best I can do for this year is to go for uncirculated coins?

Thanks again everyone....hearing from you is making it a little easier!

8. Speedy

Duh---I forgot that the mint didn't do proof sets in 47....almost any other year!

Well for $50 that might be alright but what you need to ask is what grades the coins are in---You can get a low grade WL Half Dollar for around $4....
    Like this one--
    http://www.vtcoins.com/coin/v7677/Half Dollar, Walking Liberty 1947 .html
    Its a really nice one and graded pretty high but its alittle outside your price range...
    BUT this one---
    http://www.vtcoins.com/coin/v1905/Quarter, Washington 1947 .html
    Is really pretty---in fact I wish I could buy it because I'm working on a set of these but I'm out of $$$ right now...

This VT Coins is a trusted dealer--many of the guys here and myself have bought coins from him---his name is Tim.

Hope this helps

Speedy

9. bruce 1947

bruce 1947 Support Or Troops

Hi Kelvel,
    And welcome to our forum, the birthyear set is a excellent idea everyone loves coins from ther birthdate year. The 1947 cent,nickel,dime,quarter and half in b.u. grade is under a $100.00 and the walking liberty half is one of the most beautiful coin designs in our hobby good luck.

10. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

Kelvel,
    I agree with Bruce47!
    I think you should get him all 5 coins in Uncirculated condition.It WILL run you close to $100 or just under but it will be worth it.I have done this with every Philadelphia set from 1934-1954...here is my 1947 set in a Capitol Plastics holder..another good gift suggestion.

Attached Files:

11. bruce 1947

Mike very nice, I did mine for 1906 1925 1947 1956 they look so nice in black capitol plastic holders.

12. kelvel

kelvel New Member

13. Speedy

Well yes there is something---its a D and the one above is a P.....but that really doesn't matter much in the gift---just price...both coins the one you posted and the one I posted are alittel over priced---that is because alot of people collect these Halves and Blast White ones like these are the ones they want---now the one you posted seems to be an alright deal and its graded by a good grading company at a really nice grade!

Speedy

14. Vroomer2

Vroomer2 Active Member

What were/are his favorite coins to collect?

If you were buying for me, a nice Liberty Head Quarter Eagle would get MAJOR :thumb:, grade and date irrelavent. Whereas if you just went out and got a 1979 Proof set (Clear S or not) because that's my birth year, that would get a :).

Another thing that would get MAJOR kudos (from me the collector) would be to start a set of one he had before it was stolen and give it to him. Sort of a chance to restart and regain what he had.

Just my 2 and 1/2 dollars worth. ;) :goofer:

--edit--
    Keep us posted!!!! :)

--re-edit--
    Anything you get him will be special for him. So don't let me turn you around and confuse you.

15. bruce 1947

Kelvel,
    Ngc and pcgs in my opinion are the two best tpg out there as for the price of the n g c walking liberty I am the wrong person to ask. But if you were my son-in law to be I think I would appreciate it even more if I new you went out and searched for the five 1947 coins and put them in a holder yourself and that way you could discuss with him how you went about it. Hopefully you will be his son-in-law for a long time and if he is going to start collecting coins again this is a plus for you good luck.

16. Danr

Danr Numismatist

nice pic-- me likey

17. walterallen

walterallen Coin Collector

Welcome to the forum!!!

My step-father was born in 1947 and I put together a "P" year set in honor of him. I have also done the same for my biological father and my step-mother their years being 34 and 41 respectively. I can tell you none of them are coin collectors but they sure do love the year sets I've put together for them.

Since you father in law is a lover of coins a BU set would be the BOMB for him. Also put them in a holder like Mikjo0 and you will probably bring a tear to his eye. The big money will be getting a good MS Walker. The rest will be easily and affordably aquired.

18. kelvel

kelvel New Member

OK, I think I'm going to a local Coin Shop today during my lunch....I'll let you guys know what I find! Hopefully something nice. I hear there is a coin show in town once a month...I'm wondering if I would be better off there or at a local shop. Hmmm....This is kinda fun!

OK, Which should I stick to...which mint that is? And what grade? that is the only thing I would like to walk into the store knowing ahead of time...that way I can ask for something specific, and I"m not getting something that is low in quality!

19. Speedy

Well I hope you had a good time at the shop----let us know how it turned out---sorry I wasn't on earlier and posted some of the info you asked for.

Speedy

20. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

Hey wait a minute. Didn't you say SOON TO BE. I would not bother with something that reminds him of getting old, just gaining a son maybe. How about getting him a proof and uncirc set of the year you get married and with a note or card saying hereis something to remember this year as the time you gained a new family member. You could throw in any other coins with the date being the year you got married. Gold, Silver, Platinum, proof or uncirc coins, but just coins to commemorate a special occation. Not something to help remember how old he is. Being a person that just went through a son getting married I think of me getting old and then when they had a doughter, I really felt old. Don't need a coin with my birthday on it.
    I would strongly advise coin(s) with the year of your wedding.
    Then start a family tradition of coins with your kids birth year on them. Also, that would or could apply to Christmas or other holidays.

21. kelvel

kelvel New Member

Well, as nice as that would be, the year we are married, it could present a problem as we aren't getting married until next year...perhaps even 2008. Hmmmm.....so that would present a problem!

Speedy, if you happen to read this, I still haven't gone to the shop yet. So, any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted