1947 Canadian pennies with and without maple leaf

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by sasha5361, Feb 26, 2004.

1. sasha5361

sasha5361 New Member

Hey guys got a great question for ya's. I have found in my bag of goodies 4 , 1947 canadian pennies. 2 have maple leafs after the 7 in 1947 the other 2 don't can anyone tell me why and if they are worth anything? thanks agian

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bromac4

bromac4 Senior Member

Both varieties have aprox. the same value from .25 Cdn in VF to $3.00 in MS60

4. sasha5361

sasha5361 New Member

1947 ML red cent

Hi is that the value if it is a full red cent? with the ML on it?? thanks just wondering cause I just went to that ebay place and they show it being 49.99 and bid on just wondering though, another one is $100 can this be or are they ripping someone off? just new so just asking not trying to insult anyone. Thanks

5. bromac4

bromac4 Senior Member

Full red is probably MS64. I am getting my prices from the "trends" section of Canadian Coin News.The price listed for the 1947ML cent is $50.00 CDN

6. sasha5361

sasha5361 New Member

1947 Ml

Appreciate your help I have lots of old pennies and still know hardly anything but I guess I should invest in some books eh!! that is a Canadian EH lol.....can you tell me is a 1882 Trade dollar worth alot of money?? what about coins from claudius II 270 AD , or an 1881 silver dollar?? any idea ??

7. bromac4

bromac4 Senior Member

My interest is Canadian coins so that is all the resource material I have.I will be glad to help you with Canadian coins but have no info on the oters you mention. I am sure there is someone else in this forum who can help.

8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

The value of any coin depends on its condition except in cases of extreme rarities. While we can tell you the approximate value of just about any coin for a given grade - what can not do is tell you what you your particular coin might be worth because we have no idea what its grade might be. And you won't know either because you can't properly grade the coin yourself.

What you might think is UNC may in reality be VF or XF. And the values vary greatly between these grades in many cases. Post pics - then we can offer some help ;)

9. jody526

jody526 New Member

GDJMSP is right.
    What you think is Full Red,
    might really be Full Cleaned.

10. kuhli

kuhli title not chosen

In reply to your second question, the "why?" part......

Late in 1947, India gained their independence, and as such, George VI no longer had the title of "Emperor of India". Because of this, new dies had to be made, without the "Ind. Imp." in the legend. Delays caused the RCM to have to use 1947 dies to mint coins well into 1948. These were marked with a maple-leaf.

11. sasha5361

sasha5361 New Member

1947 Ml

I see that is interesting to know appreciatie the info. I have 2 without the Maple leaf , and another 2 with the maple leaf so I guess the 2 with the Maple leaf are worth more correct??

Draft saved Draft deleted