1946 Half Dollar

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Bluetip84, Feb 21, 2010.

1. Bluetip84

Bluetip84 Likes Toned Coins

Another coin from some recently inherited coins. This is the only standing liberty half that i have and i know very little about them any thoughts on the grade and value on this coin would be great. From what I have read its not a rare date or anything and only worth a few bucks but i just wanted to verify from some more knowledgeable people. Also since i don't think it has much value would it benefit this coin to have a quick dip in some acetone? Thanks very much.

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc1/jerhull/Coins/img005.jpg
    http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc1/jerhull/Coins/img006.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bluetip84

Bump someone should chime in something for me lol.

Thanks

4. jallengomez

jallengomez Cessna 152 Jockey

It is a common date and my guess would be about F12 on the grade. I don't think you would do any harm to it with pure acetone, but I don't think it would help much either. Given that there would only be a couple of dollars difference between the coins numismatic value and its melt value it wouldn't be a bad one to experiment on.

5. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

I just love those mad scientist experiments !!...LOL

6. Bluetip84

Thank you that's what i thought just wanted to make sure before as MPCUSA said i start my mad scientist experiment lol!

7. hrhomer

hrhomer Member

What I do with my old, but not very valuable silver, if I want to keep it and have it look nice, is rub it with Crest toothpaste for about a minute. Rinse, and repeat. As long as you don't ruin a valuable coin (I've done this with an example of the very coin from your OP before), it will make it nice and shiny. I would never do this on a coin in any kind of decent grade, though.

Joe

8. AdamL

AdamL Well-Known Member

Yes, its a common date and not worth alot in that condition. I don't think there would be much of a point in dipping it, unless you just want to experiment. And just an FYI, those are called Walking Liberty Halves. "Standing Liberty" is a term used to describe the quarters of 1916-1930.

9. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

Keep in mind that any coin that you do this to will be worth only it's silver value for the rest of it's life. I wouldn't recommend it... but to each his own.

10. hrhomer

hrhomer Member

I know - that's why I don't d it with anything much more valuable than bullion...

Joe

Draft saved Draft deleted