1944P Five Cent Discoloured

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by byrd740, Jun 1, 2009.

1. byrd740

byrd740 Numismatist

I have had this coin for a while, maybe someone could help me finding out what may have happened. It is, as you can see, a 1944 P silver nickel. The discolouration is what I am wondering about. How could something like this happen. Looking at it in hand it is no doubtly UNC. Lustre does not show through the discolouration.

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. deadcat

deadcat New Member

is the color embedded on the coin or on the surface? I've seen oil stain applied in order to clean coins that can have crazy embedded luster even toned look, but this is kinda weird looking, I guess the way to research this would be to find out what chemical will react with the coins metals to create this color, then determine when the coin was around these conditions, I think if it's one of the silver war nickels it's 35% silver, 65% nickel? or something like that.

4. just coins

just coins New Member

Just post mint damage the coin was tampered with.
    JC

5. deadcat

deadcat New Member

Yeah, this coin definitely looks unnatural.

6. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Not unnatural, possibly unusual.

It is possible that there was a ton of junk in the melting pot that day, as we are aware of, the war nickels commonly have tons of junk in there, hence the very common, ubiquitous laminations.

7. deadcat

deadcat New Member

never seen a war nickel like that... ever. You have any links for pics supporting this?

8. vipergts2

vipergts2 Jester in hobby of kings

look here.

Attached Files:

9. byrd740

byrd740 Numismatist

I don't really know how to describe it. Its not a lamination error. The discolouration is a part of the coin its not raised or lowered.

10. borgovan

borgovan Supporter**

I see odd streaks like that frequently on Jefferson war nickels. There's one on eBay in a PCGS holder, I believe. I already deleted the item from my watch list, or else I'd post it here. I can't rule out chemical contamination from the picture, but I'd say it's probably just weird toning. That type of toning doesn't tend to bring a premium, and probably would deter a seller even at a normal MS price.

I suppose you could put together a collection of "wood grain" Jeffersons.

11. just coins

just coins New Member

I still think it;s envirormental damage.
    JC

Draft saved Draft deleted