1944 US Philippines 50 centavos

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by travelandnature, Mar 25, 2009.

1. travelandnature

travelandnature New Member

Hello -

I am working my way through some inherited coins. I have been trying to read up on each denomination as I go along. Coin collecting is a project !

Currently, I are confused by a 1944 US Phillippines 50 centavos coin. I can find no mint mark. Is it in a special spot or does this simply mean that it is from the Philadelphia mint ?

A lot of the descriptions that I read indicate that these coins were cast in silver. However, this coin seems slightly lighter in weight to me. The color is brassy. So is this a Nickle-Brass coin ?

What might the value be of this interesting coin ? Thanks.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Morgan1878

Morgan1878 For A Few Dollars More..

My reference tells me that all 1944 50 centavo pieces were struck in San Francisco..
    sorta makes sense...it is the closest mint to the Phillipines. Value of the coin depends on condition..$1.50 for Very Fine...$2.00 E-Fine....$3.50 MS-60....
    Hope this helps...

4. travelandnature

About that 1944 Philippines 50 centavos

Morgan -

Yes, your answer helps a lot. Because of this coin, I find myself reading about the Philippine occupation coins in general. What an interesting little time capsule of history.

I think that I posted my question on the wrong forum, as I am new to this. Probably should repost over on US coins. So thanks for the response.

Does your reference happen to indicate if this coin is silver or Ni-Brass ? According to my reading, all of the 1944 50 centavos were minted in silver. However, this coin does not look silver to me.

Thanks again for the help.

5. travelandnature

About that 1944 Philippines 50 centavos

Morgan -

The other coin that I am researching at the moment is an 1888-O Morgan. So I like your username !

Yes, your answer about the 1944 50 centavos helps a lot. Because of this coin, I find myself reading about the Philippine occupation coins in general. What an interesting little time capsule of history.

I think that I posted my question on the wrong forum, as I am new to this site. Probably should repost over on the US coins forum. So thanks for the response.

Does your reference happen to indicate if this coin is silver or Ni-Brass ? According to my reading, all of the 1944 50 centavos were minted in silver. However, this coin does not look silver to me. Did they also mint this coin as a mixture of metals ?

Thanks again for the help.

6. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

Hi Travel dont worry too much about getting it wrong we dont bite :whistle: and of course welcome to CoinTalk :hail:
    You can allways start a new thread over in the US coin forum :thumb:

7. Morgan1878

My reference (Red Book) gave no details re: metal composition or placement of mint mark..looks like you've already gotten some replies on another forum.

As for the 1888-O Morgan, these are fairly common, there is however a much rarer version of this coin with a "double die obverse" where certain features have been struck more than once. So if you're seeing double looking at the obverse, that might be a good thing. Versions of the common 1888-0 range from $15.00 VG to $18.50 AU. MS grades start at $30.00. The rarer version would be a multiple of at least 2-30 times more depending on condition. These are wholesale prices...

I'm pretty new to this forum myself..so there are probably a lot more informed answers out there about this Morgan.

My own personal infatuation with Morgans has to do with the fact that I'm a native son of the golden west so to speak and the Morgan was coined during the time when the West was to a large degree untamed with its attendant list of colorful characters, legends and history.

8. travelandnature

Hello, native son

Morgan1878 -

Yep, the CoinTalkers on the other forum directed me to the place to find the mint mark on the 50 centavos. Gee, so easy when you know where to look.

As for the 1888 Morgan, there is no double on the obverse. Just one pretty lady.

I like the Morgans because they are simply classic and good looking. And they feel good in the hand.

I need a quick lesson on how to grade coins. I have been digging around on the web, but have not found something condensed. Know a place that I can read something like "Coin Grading for Dummies ?". Then I could speak more intelligently to the Coin Talkers.

9. AdamL

AdamL Well-Known Member

10. Morgan1878

Hi-

There is no "quick" way on how to grade coins. I have a book titled "American Numistatic Association Grading Standards for United States Coins." It's a Whitman book. I'm sure there are others.

Since wear characteristics are different for each type (Morgan, Peace, Barber, etc.), patience will be a virtue. You will need to start the learning process anew when you encounter a different type of coin.

I have several hundred Morgans I've looked at 2-3 times each. I find that I have changed the grading on many of these coins simply because I've learned a lot more since I began. Sometimes the grading goes up a notch, most of the time it has gone down since I now know more about "cartwheel effect" "luster" and spotting a coin that's been cleaned. As you look at more coins, like a wine taster you will become more proficient and faster. In this regard, I'm still a beginner..

I enjoy the process. Besides coin collecting, I'm an amateur artist. So, I like the challenges of detail and getting it right. How quickly this happens is secondary to me.

11. chriscanonjr

chriscanonjr New Member

I have that coin...

nI have that coin i sell it in the market today....

send your mail to chriscanonjr@yahoo.com.

Thanks

12. Collector1966

Collector1966 Senior Member

I think your coin just might have toned, like this one:

Attached Files:

13. chriscanonjr

chriscanonjr New Member

Color was faded because of time and used

Actually all old coins was change in shape i mean from their original shape color whether it silver or gold. Or else we ask the mint to test if its real silver or what based on my studies all coins that time was made in their metal choices such as silver or gold but anyway ive send later my copy of 1908 and 1944 coins. And it is for sale....or auction.......... thanks a lot.....

Draft saved Draft deleted