1943 Walking Liberty Gold? Necklace

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by fullhart, Dec 17, 2009.

1. fullhart

fullhart Junior Member

I bought this necklace many years ago from the U.S. Mint (1986-2000), and I think it is 1/2 ounce gold. However, it is a half dollar Walking Liberty, which is usually silver. Whenever the U.S. mint mixes the metals, it usually makes the coin 2 tone. This is gold tone only.

It has a mint mark of D, but also it looks like there could be a W mint mark next to the R in dollaR on the reverse.

Did anyone else buy this necklace? Is it solid gold, or gold plated silver?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jerryb

jerryb Member

I've never known of the mint putting out jewelry?????? It may have been a company using Mint in their name to make people think it is from the government Mint. The "W" you see is an AW which stands for Alex Weinman (think that's the right name) of the designer of the Walking Liberty half. My guess its a partially gold plated regular Walking Liberty half put in a jewelry bezel w/chain and marketed by someone else other than the U. S. Mint.

Would basically be worth the gold bezel/chain weight (if it's like 14K gold) and then just bullion silver value for the coin. Amount of gold on the coin is insignificant.

4. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

I agree it's just a processed walking liberty half dollar. Not enough gold to matter.

5. fullhart

fullhart Junior Member

Thanks, I was afraid of that, but I was hoping for the best.

Draft saved Draft deleted