1943 steel nickel

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Philipellisis, Jan 28, 2006.

1. Philipellisis

Philipellisis New Member

This is a response from the last one I sent in. Everyone was asking for a picture but I couldn't get one until I got my friend to help me out. So here are the pictures. I still don't have a way to get the weight though. Hopefully someone can give me some guidance. I don't even know how I would go about selling the coin. If someone could tell me how much it could be worth though, that would be great. Once again, this looks like a penny blank that was stamped as a nickel. It just happens to be in 1943 when they were making steel pennies, so it is a steel nickel. (It does stick to a magnet)

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pete P.

Pete P. Senior Member

The edge seems a bit uneven... Does it attract to a magnet? It does appear to have a 'steel' tarnish :)

4. zaneman

zaneman Former Moderator

Yes, see if it sticks to a magnet. If it does, you should probably get that coin authenticated.

5. Philipellisis

Philipellisis New Member

Yes, it does stick to a magnet. where can I go to get it authenticated?

6. zaneman

zaneman Former Moderator

Wow, you might have something really great on your hands. I would recommend sending your coin to ANACS for authentication, but keep in mind I'm not a coin expert, and if your coin is fake, then someone on here may be able to spot it in the next day or so. Here is a link to ANACS:
    http://www.anacs.com/Default.aspx?Page=3

7. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

Howdy.....I would send that coin in....but for this type of coin I would suggest NGC...you will have to send it through a dealer as just anybody can't send to them....it might still be fake...but try to find a dealer in your town and ask what they think....remember....they have the coin in hand and we don't.

Speedy

8. satootoko

satootoko Retired

Take it to any jewelry store and ask them to weigh it. They will have a scale accurate to .1g or better. Steel cents weigh 2.70g. and planchet weight is held to pretty tight standards by the Mint.

9. foundinrolls

foundinrolls Roll Searching Enthusiast

Hi,
    That has the right look to be exactly what you think it is. That could be an absolutely Phenomenal find and could be extremely valuable. I'd love to see Mike's input on this one. It looks right to be a nickel struck on a cent planchet. This could be a unique error!!! Get it authenticated! Once done, we can give you ideas on how to proceed. Not wanting to get the cart before the horse, this could be a multiple thousand dollar coin!
    Good Luck,
    Bill

10. mikediamond

mikediamond Coin Collector

I have no doubt this is a genuine example of a nickel struck on a steel cent planchet. It would be worth well in excess of $1000.

11. foundinrolls

Hi,
    Thank You Mike! I thought you might like this one :) Great Find Philipellisis!!
    Have Fun,
    Bill

12. Jim M

Jim M Ride it like ya stole it

Judging from the cutoff around the edge it would certainly make me see it as a Jefferson on a penny planchet. I would not hesitate to send that coin in for verification. Based on the Banana $20 that just sold, I am betting if this coin is authentic.. its in the 20k range. Step 1. verify.. Step 2. Call Heritage or Superior. Step 3. Sell it. Step 4. Give everyone in Coin Talk a %, because we are nice people. Ok Ok. step 4 is a stretch. But do get it verified. I think you really have something there from the photos and the fact it does in fact attract to a magnet.

13. Philipellisis

Philipellisis New Member

Thank you all for the great help, I am currently talking to different coin dealers nearby to get it authenticated...will let you know how everything goes!!

14. zaneman

zaneman Former Moderator

I highly doubt it would be worth 20k, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it go for 1-2k.

15. Jim M

Jim M Ride it like ya stole it

I didnt think the banana dollar would bring anything close to what it did either. I guess its a case of beauty is in the eye of the beerholder. : )

16. zaneman

zaneman Former Moderator

Someone on this very forum had a penny struck on a dime planchet for 1943 I believe, and they sold it for a couple grand : )

17. foundinrolls

I think it was a 1953 cent on a dime planchet

18. Tammy Vital

Tammy Vital New Member

19. Tammy Vital

Tammy Vital New Member

I have a 1943 D Nickel and it sticks to a magnet
    I don’t know how to posts pictures on here
    It is brilliant but no details in the printing

20. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Store the picture in a file, click “Upload a File,” and go get it.

21. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

How much does it weigh? Is it the same size as other nickels or smaller and thinner?
    The OP which was 14 years ago, looks like the real thing. So you can compare it
    with that.

Draft saved Draft deleted