1943 silver penny

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Kurt, Sep 24, 2007.

1. Kurt

Kurt Junior Member

I have a 1943 penny that was stamped out of a dime plachette.
    It has been authenticated as such. Does anyone know what it's worth?
    It is real silver, not steel. It has the same weight as a dime.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. n_sandler4

n_sandler4 Paul

I'm not sure, but if it is authenticated by a reputable 3rd party grading service, it could be worth a good bit of money...

4. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

$1,200 in the 08 Redbook. I'd say more depending on who certified it.
    Guy~

5. Kurt

Kurt Junior Member

I have a 1943 penny that was struck on a dime planchet. It is silver with the weight of a dime and does NOT stick to a magnet.
    Anyone know the worth?
    It has been authenticated by a 3rd party that has been in business for 100 years.

6. invictus

invictus Senior Member

7. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

What grading company authenticated it? That will be the first thing before anyone can really post a value.

Speedy

8. Kurt

Kurt Junior Member

It was authenticated by ANACS in Austin Texas
    "1943S 1cent on a 10 cent planchet"

9. Speedy

I would say that the value is "pretty nice" :D :D All kidding aside. A cent struck on a dime planchet normally sells for a few hundred. But being an older one, and a Wheat Cent at that I could see it going for a few hundered more. Do you happen to know if ANACS also graded it and if so what is the grade?

A coin such as this, if sold in the right market, could bring a NICE price. If you are interested in selling it you might want to contact Heritage www.ha.com I think they could get a nice price for you.

As I'm sure you note---I hesitate to put a $ value on this coin---it is because too many things could play into the value. Grade, eye appeal, and a few other things. This isn't the normal cent on dime planchet...this is a NICE error.

Speedy

10. flyers10

flyers10 Collector of US Coinage

Checked the completed Heritage auctions. Here is what I found
    NGC MS60 sold for $4600
    NCS AU Details Damaged sold for $1035
    PCGS AU50 sold for $4887
    Now if you have a 1943 Lincoln Cent struck on a 1943 Mercury dime NGC MS62 sold for $28,000.

Now let's see a picture please!:thumb:

11. Speedy

I move the post from the other thread to this one---

As you can see from what Flyers10 posted--values could be all over the place.

Speedy

12. flyers10

flyers10 Collector of US Coinage

Correction. That MS60 that went for $4600 was graded by ANACS not NGC. Sorry about that.

13. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Kurt:
    If you really have one, we'd all love to see a picture of it.
    Thanks

14. Ed Goldman

Ed Goldman coin collector

What company has been in business 100 years? Not even Stacks, and Max Mehl died.

15. Kurt

Kurt Junior Member

Here are some photos. Hope I did it right.
    Planning on auctioning this off in a few months as soon as I can find a good auction house.

Attached Files:

16. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

For this coin, Speedy's advice is probably the best. For high end coins no one seems to do it better. Thank you very much for sharing - now that's a cool coin!!!

17. Kurt

Kurt Junior Member

Didn't get grading on it. It has wear but all the numbers and letters are readable. My grandfather found this in his pocket change after the war and he knew it was worth something so he held onto it and passed it down.
    I knew there were bronze ones out there but I NEVER heard of one that was silver.
    What do ya think.....$200,000? ha ha
    You will probably see me on "Antiques Road Show" soon.

18. Philly Dog

Philly Dog Coin Collector

It does say AU-53 for the grade;)

19. Speedy

It is graded AU53. I would strongly suggest Heritage for selling the coin.

Speedy

20. hamman88

hamman88 Spare some change, sir?

Wow, that is very neat. When most new people come here with something that sounds great and rare it ends up being PMD or something. But this is the real deal. Very cool!

21. Coinlover

Coinlover The Coin Collector

never seen anything like that before! pretty neat. does it have reeding on the edge?

Draft saved Draft deleted