1943-P Washington Quarter Double Die

Discussion in 'Auction Listings' started by nesvt, Dec 15, 2004.

1. nesvt

nesvt Coin Hoarder

Remember that double die 1943-P Washington quarter I was asking about in the Error Forum? I put it on ebay .

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. susanlynn9

susanlynn9 New Member

Good luck, nesvt. Maybe someone will snatch it up as a Christmas present. You may want to put a Buy It Now price on it. We don't usually use BIN, but we listed a lot of items with BIN for Christmas this year and it made a huge difference. I think people are concerned about waiting for the end of the auction because they want to be sure to get their items by Christmas. Just a thought. :)

4. nesvt

nesvt Coin Hoarder

Thanks susanlynn9. The BIN was one of the things I removed to bring the fees down. It's in multiple categories (quarters and errors), and I didn't realize the fees repeated in every category. I also wasn't confident in the BIN amount. I'd be glad to add it back, but how much? Do you think the $50 starting bid will scare people away? I had a 99 cent start and a reserve.... but those reserve fees got dropped too. What do I put for a starting bid, reserve, and BIN on a coin I know little about? Also, I can't grade. Seems like a huge gap between F at $156 and EF at $620.

5. susanlynn9

susanlynn9 New Member

My suggestion would be to look at how much money you have in the coin and not look at stated values. Ebay has flown in the face of stated values before. Also, right now is the Christmas rush. BIN auctions are hot because people want to be sure to get the item for Christmas. My suggestion would be to lower the starting price to 14.95 (1.20 / category) with a BIN of $50.00 (.05 / category). I can't remember if you had a gallery, but you should using the compilation picture of the letters (.25 / category). This will lower your listing fees to $1.50 per category or a total of $3.00 and you will get the best "bang for your buck". Just a suggestion.

You also have a lot of characters left in your title bar. Add "US Coins" to your title bar and you will get a lot more hits on the auction. Include "DDO" also if you have room.

6. susanlynn9

susanlynn9 New Member

Also, as far as the condition goes (and keep in mind that I don't have the coin in hand) I believe it to be F15 condition. I don't see the wing feathers as clear enough to warrant a VF20 grade, but the breast feathers are clearer than on an F12 coin and there is some hairline detail remaining. Keep in mind that this grade is only my opinion, but based on what I can see, that is what I would market it at.

7. susanlynn9

susanlynn9 New Member

Sorry, I should have thought about this in my first reply. You may want to offer Priority Shipping for Christmas. The cost for up to 1 pound is $3.85, but it gets there in two days. You can either get a free priority box from the post office or you can use a bubble mailer and put Priority stickers on it. Your post office will supply you with what you need.

8. nesvt

nesvt Coin Hoarder

You're great. Thanks. I just applied all of your suggestions except the BIN. I was going to, but I saw another 43 double die for sale (this one's a 43-S) on eBay. It's already at $69.

9. susanlynn9

susanlynn9 New Member

I still would suggest putting some BIN amount. How about 80-90.00? The price for BIN is the same no matter how high the amount. You could even try $100.00 but I don't think it will go for that much because of the condition. What condition is the 43s in?

10. nesvt

nesvt Coin Hoarder

The listing says "VG/FN". It's in worse shape than mine. Only one picture. The strike is different... looks like the rim hit the center of the coin. Is this what the double die is supposed to look like?

11. susanlynn9

susanlynn9 New Member

Could you post the auction number or a link?

12. nesvt

nesvt Coin Hoarder

I put a link in the previous thread. It's item 3946099529 .
    I thought there were two bids, but it's from the same buyer... and it's the starting bid. Only 3 hours left on this one.

13. nesvt

nesvt Coin Hoarder

.... and my 43-P is item 3947450210 .