1936 English penny

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by timothytrout, Aug 26, 2009.

1. timothytrout

timothytrout UberCoinN00b

HUGE penny. this is the only coin I actually remember having had as a kid. the reverse in particular stood out in my mind. I apologize for my photoshop skillz, but the coin was to big to fit in one frame with my buddy's macro lens.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Prestoninanus

Prestoninanus Junior Member

Thats in pretty nice condition. Pity it isn't a 1933 though, else you could retire and buy a shedload more coins to add to your collection into the bargain...

As it is, they actually sell old-style pennies like in nostalgia arcades in touristy areas for about 10p each to use in old pre-decimal era arcade machines. They're usually in worse condition (about Fine and below) than the one you have there though...

4. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Thanks for posting the photo of your George V Penny. I recently decided to assemble a simple type set of the Great Britain Penny. It is a large & interesting coin.

Very best regards,
    collect89

5. AG Metal

AG Metal Junior Member

I decided to start building a set of these too, Collect89. I think I will just start with 20th century ones for now, since the Victorian coins are a little more expensive.

6. itsallngoodtime

itsallngoodtime Beachhunter

I've got some there from the late 1800's and early and mid 1900's some UNC, what makes the 1933 worth so much reason being I don't know that much about these coins heck I might have a 1933.
    itsallngoodtime
    Bob
    P.S I don't have one to bad but it's a nice coin.

7. Prestoninanus

There were only 7 known examples of the 1933 penny, of which I think 3 are held in private ownership. The British museum has one and you can see it if you make a prior appointment (if you like that sort of thing).
    They are (potentially) worth millions, but at least hundreds of thousands. Thieves once demolished a church built in 1933 to get at the penny that had been laid under a foundation stone, and there is one sad story from the 1960s were a member of staff for an advertising companny had a 1933 penny in his change and lent it out to be featured it in an advert. When the advert came out, numismatists pointed out to the company that one of the coins featured was worth thousands (at the time), unfortunately, the member of staff had long since spent it...:crying:

Its highly unlikely you'd spot one amongst a load of pennies though, and if you did, it would probably be a forgery or an alteration, as it is believed all the 1933 pennies in existance are accounted for.

Other key dates you might want to look out for are 1950-51 (Not stupidly valuable, but they command a reasonably high price in the higher grades compared to other George VIs), and the 1918-19 KN and H mintmark pennies.
    Victoria bunheads (pre-1895 non-old heads) are also quite sought after in the higher grades, although any penny that is EF and above from before the 1930s is worth looking out for...

8. (v)

(v) Senior Member

Thanks for this info Prestoninanus. Do you happen to know if the thieves did get to the 1933 penny? ;-)

9. (v)

(v) Senior Member

Nice coin timothytrout.

10. Prestoninanus

Yes they managed to steal it. I think it was sold on the black market to an unknown private collector and resurfaced later.

There was another church with another 1933 penny under its foundation stone, but after what happened to the other church, they decided it would be safer to remove the coin and sell it at auction instead, so they did. The price they would have gotten should be keeping them amply supplied with church roofs for a while yet.....

11. I really like those old large British Pennies. I have a handfull, some of them are badly beat up. One looks like it has been shot, and considering I inherited it from one of the 4 relatives of mine who served in WWII...it might have been. Whenever I see a large bucket of world coins, and some of them are in there, I am always drawn to them. That's probably how I got so many, in fact...(I have 6)

12. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Yes I have a 1901 and a 1945. I also have a couple of farthings that are smaller but look the same as far as the Brittania goes. Hope I spelled that right, anyways nice coins and good pics. :bow:

13. ericl

ericl Senior Member

When I was a kid, back in 1970, We lived in Oxford (does two weeks count as living in a place?), there was a coin shop, and I got a Whitman folder for pennies (the big switch being the following year), and managed to get an almost complete 20th century set from circulation! All I was missing was 1933, 1950, '51 and '53. Plus the Edward VIII stuff.

the oldest coin I found in circulation was 1898. Think about that.

14. timothytrout

timothytrout UberCoinN00b

I haven't found anything from the 1800's yet but I can hope with time. Thanks everyone! I really liked this coin - even as a kid - like you said, Billy Kingsley- I just kinda got drawn to it. It's also the only one that stood prominently out in my mind after a number of years of sitting in a box in my old room at my parents house.

15. ukgoldbug

ukgoldbug Member

I like these coins as well, for the very reason that they are big, i.e you can see them! Anything that you can still see without the need for glasses is well worth looking at!
    Some of the pre-1860 Victorian pennies had comparatively large diameters, something like 35mm if I'm correct, possibly more? Meaning this puts them alongside some silver 1oz bullion coins, in diameter terms, (clearly the weight is lower as is the height, (thickness.))

16. Rushmore

Rushmore Coin Addict

I found 32 at the Decorah Iowa Coin show today.

Draft saved Draft deleted