1921 Peace Dollar

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by BadThad, Oct 18, 2009.

1. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Z! The mark of Zoro!

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. gopher29

gopher29 Coin Hoarder

I actually kinda like it. Looks wild!

4. stainless

stainless ANTONINIVS

Zoro with cerebral palsy, nice!

stainless

5. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Just added a '21 to my collection last week. Picked up a nice AU example at a price I couldn't resist. I saw MS certified examples at Coinfest that couldn't hold a candle to the coin that I purchased. You own this Lady Thad? She sure has character........

6. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

I would much rather have an attractive AU-58 than a lousy looking MS-64.

7. green18

Mike, they were ugly looking MS-60's.....

8. mikenoodle

my point was that given the choice I would rather have a well-struck attractive AU coin than an ugly low-end uncirculated coin

9. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Long live the AU64.:D

http://www.cointalk.com/t41621/

10. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I agree that a AU58 can outshine a low grade MS all the time and I would much rather have one. But, most MS64s are pretty clean...it's the MS60s and 61s that get blown away by the AU58s.

That being said, the 1921 Peace Dollar is a very hard coin to grade...they are high relief and prone to poor striking. So, a MS example can look worn. I think this is a great coin where an AU58 would be an excellent coin to look for.

11. mikenoodle

the prices are so flat that if you made a mistake in grading, it would not cost you so much

12. WashQuartJesse

WashQuartJesse Member Supporter

BadThad,

Look what I get to wake up to...Kiss

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. gopher29

gopher29 Coin Hoarder

Hmm... I'm thinking XF-45 details scratched ...and you really shouldn't sleep with your coins.

14. green18

Why not? They do love me back you know.....:rolling:

15. Tallpaul000

Tallpaul000 Searcher

I'd shell out 300

16. foundinrolls

foundinrolls Roll Searching Enthusiast

With all the fakes out there, one of these things raw makes me very nervous. Do a search on fleabay for replica 1921 peace dollar.

Take one of the chinese fakes, dirty it up a little bit and you can hide a multitude of diagnostics.

I'm not saying this one is fake, but a good price + all marked = I would be a nervous buyer.

Some things to be said about the fakes, they come to the US without replica or copy stamped on them and they can fool many people.

The sources of the coins can seem legit because some of the second tier owners are not aware that the coins might be fake.

I saw a bunch of these at a flea market last year along with a ton of other fake peace dollars, morgans and other larger silver counterfeit coins. They were pretty darn good and they were about the right weight.

I am not saying anything against this particular coin and as much as I am not a slab nut, I wouldn't buy one of these raw.

Have Fun,
    Bill

17. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Bill,

This one came out of the old collection, same as the counterfeit Morgan. Honestly, I'm not sure if it's fake but I'd be surprized as this is a very, very old coin. Ebay didn't exist when this coin was stored away circa 1940's.

Draft saved Draft deleted