1917 Standing Liberty

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by shatsi, Sep 15, 2006.

1. shatsi

shatsi Senior Member

I would like to know your opinion on this coin. Dealer grade is AU58 and priced at $165. Its for my type set. Can it be considered a Full Head?

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jim C (Mich)

Jim C (Mich) Senior Member

Man, that thing is pretty. I love the S.L. Quarters. My favorite coin. It looks like there is no mail on her is this one of those bare breasted 1917? Very cool coin.

4. tcore

tcore Coin Collector

Well I would think so...but I don't know the specific criteria. Either way, that coin is beautiful! I'd pick it up!

5. n_sandler4

n_sandler4 Paul

Wow. I have never seen a SL as nice as that one....

6. der_meister77

der_meister77 Senior Member

I would buy that beauty at that price! Especially if you need it for your type set.

7. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

I'd buy it in a second!!

8. zaneman

zaneman Former Moderator

Shatsi,
    Your coin has a full head, and would be graded as such IMO. As far as the grade, the coin may grade higher than a 58. I don't see the grey friction I normally see on au-58 quarters, and I can't see any signs of alteration or cleaning. :)

9. PyrotekNX

PyrotekNX Senior Member

I can't see very clearly, but look at the rivets on the shield. If they are all complete, then it would definitely go full head.

10. shatsi

shatsi Senior Member

I've ordered it. I'll probably receive it by Monday.

PyrotekNX, I didn't think FH attribution was based on the sheild as well. Thanks for pointing it out.

11. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

It isn't - he is saying that if the shield is fully struck then the head should be too.

12. shatsi

shatsi Senior Member

Oh.. ok. If its a FH wouldn't the dealer sell it as a FH at that price?

13. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Probably not. It could be a couple of things, either the dealer thinks the coin is not MS and because of that he is selling it at the given price - or the dealer sees something in person that is not evident in the pictures and thus the discounted price. Or it could be that the dealer has undergraded the coin or that he doesn't think the coin is worthy of the FH designation. Or it could even be that the dealer is not even aware of the FH designation and what it means in regard to value - or that he just doesn't believe in the special designations and the added value they bring.

There could be all kinds of reasons for the dealer to sell the coin at this price.

14. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

I suspect the coin has been either harshly cleaned or overdipped or both. The coin has a "flat" look -- not something I would expect from an AU coin (as it appears to be). Furthermore, the price is too good to be true, and I've learned to run from situations like that. I would only chance purchasing the coin if I knew I had a good return policy and was able to judge for myself if the coin is uncleaned or not overdipped.

Here's an example of a dipped but not overdipped SLQ. See the coin's carthweel luster?

[​IMG][​IMG]

Hope this helps....Mike

15. shatsi

shatsi Senior Member

I bought it from Harlan J Berk and they have a good return policy. Usually if a coin is cleaned they mark it as cleaned. I'll post more pictures when I receive it.

16. The_Cave_Troll

The_Cave_Troll The Coin Troll

My experience with HJB is that the coins are nicer than the pictures. I think they should invest in a better photographer. I hope that you are pleased with the coin, and please do post photos of your own once it arrives.

17. Leadfoot

That could very well explain the dull appearance of the photos -- just poor photography. Please keep us apprised of the transaction, and please do post pictures when you receive them....Mike

p.s. I've done business with HK Berk in the past, and have been very pleased with the transaction. You are very safe doing business with them, however the concern with the coin being overdipped and/or cleaned is still there.

18. shatsi

shatsi Senior Member

Take a look at the pictures I took.

Day-time view
    [​IMG]

Night view
    [​IMG]

Full Head?
    [​IMG]

Excuse my finger. It came in a clear plastic hold so I was able to handle it.

19. Leadfoot

That looks much, much better than the first set of photos. Congrats on your new purchase...Mike

Draft saved Draft deleted