1917 Probably British - Please help identify

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Peter T Davis, Jun 3, 2005.

1. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Hammer at the Ready Moderator

Howdy everyone, I just got this sent to me in private. Can anyone come up with a good explanation of this, I don't have access to anything at the moment.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rick

rick Coin Collector

4. Tbirde

Tbirde Senior Member

That is Britannia, symbol of Great Britain, on the back of the old British bronze minors. Britannia is modeled on a Roman soldier and is shown seated on a rock with a shield to her side displaying the British ensign. She is sitting in front of the ocean with a lighthouse behind her and holding a trident representing Britani's mastery of the seas and world wide empire.

5. sylvester

sylvester New Member

She is most definately a she.

6. KLJ

KLJ Really Smart Guy

GEORGIVS V DEIGRA:BRITT:OMN:REX FIDEF:IND:IMP is the abbreviation for the Latin phrase (excuse if my spelling is bad) "Georgius V, Dei Gratia Brittanarium Omnium Rex, Fidei Defensor, Indiae Imperator." In English that translates as "George V, by the Grace of God, King of all the Britains, Defender of the Faith, Indian Emperor." That phrase appeared on coins (the only change being to Georgius VI) of the Empire through the end of the Raj in 1947. Although today the phrase is different in the various countries where Elizabeth II is Queen, the British coins today say (still in Latin abbreviations) "Elizabeth II, by the Grace of God Queen, Defender of the Faith."

George V reigned from 1910-1936 (thus encompassing the First World War). In 1917 he changed the dynasty name to Windsor from "something" (monarchists and historians differ as to what it was before - although most say "Saxe-Coburg-Gotha"). He is also the grandfather of the present Queen and the first cousin of, among others, the last German Kaiser, Wilhelm II.

7. rick

rick Coin Collector

Sylvester is our local Britannia...

8. sylvester

sylvester New Member

Admittedly so! :)

I can't promise i can answer every question on UK coins, but i can have a good haphazard attempt at most of them... ;)

Especially coins before 1800.

Draft saved Draft deleted