1908 $10 Gold Indian head

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by goldmember, Jun 26, 2009.

1. goldmember

goldmember Junior Member

This is my favorite of my entire collection. Any thoughts on what this might grade? I was told by someone that they thought it had been cleaned by the little marks, but I think I have seen others slabbed with these same marks. Any thoughts or opinions are appreciated.

DSC07919 (2).jpg

DSC07939 (2).jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

Its a real nice coin. To bad about the Whizzing. Traci

4. Mark Feld

Mark Feld Rare coin dealer

It looks like An AU coin that has been cleaned, and which, as a result of the cleaning would not grade at a major grading company. But it does not look whizzed to me.

5. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

Hairlines on the obverse lead me to say the coin has AU details but was once cleaned.

6. krispy

krispy krispy

@Goldmember: That's beautiful! that's the one I was asking about in the 'show some bullion' forum. WOW. Love that design.

All, I am curious about bullion dealers like APMEX who sell early 20th century gold as bullion. Does anyone here know if they clean/polish or 'whiz' these old beauties then send them out to investors. And if so, is this where a lot of cleaned low grade circ. coins try to re-enter the coin collecting world?

7. goldmember

goldmember Junior Member

Thanks for your input everyone. I had never heard of "whizzing" before and had to look it up. I will have to take it back out of the safe and see if I can spot any of the signs that this was done, but I don't think it was (hope not). From what I read, I should look for a build up of metal around the date and words.

It's a shame what some people will do to these wonderful coins.

8. Mark Feld

Mark Feld Rare coin dealer

Whizzed coins generally have a very different appearance from coins that have been wiped, cleaned, etc. I didn't see anything in your images that would lead me to believe the coin has been whizzed.

Some people use the words "whizzed" and "cleaned" interchangeably, though I believe it is a mistake to do so.

I do not believe that to be the case.

9. 900fine

900fine doggone it people like me

I don't think it's whizzed. Whizzing is a much more serious offense than cleaning IMHO.

10. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Ditto. Whizzing destroys luster. This coin still has luster.

11. mgChevelle

mgChevelle AMERICAN

i say AU. and that is an awesome coin. those marks would bug me though. but there probably not as bad in hand

Draft saved Draft deleted