1900 Indian Cent Question

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by PersianGuy, Oct 3, 2009.

1. PersianGuy

PersianGuy my.will.is.good

I had a few Indian Cents I found that I bought a few years ago. This one stood out as different, it appears (as I am not nearly an expert at grading this type) to have been corroded and then harshly cleaned. Can anyone substantiate this, and perhaps give me an idea of the grade? What would the value be? Thanks so much.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. illini420

illini420 1909 Collector

I don't think the coin has been harshly cleaned. Your coin appears to have woodgrain toning though, which accounts for the streaky color. From what I understand, this occurs when the copper alloy used on these isn't mixed well and the different metals tone differently in a woodgrain pattern. Some collectors love that and will pay extra, others hate it, just a matter of taste. This type of toning is most common on S mint cents from the 1908-S Indian Cent up through the S mint Lincolns of the 1920s. But it's also seen on other cents and also on many 2 cent pieces.

That said, your coin does look to have some corrosion or some other surface damage. I think it has XF details though.

Thanks for sharing.

4. PersianGuy

Thanks for that great explanation of Woodgrain toning! I will have to research that further, very interesting!!

5. PersianGuy

So question, does the wood grain toning actually add or decrease the value?

Draft saved Draft deleted