1893-S Morgan's value?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by coimanro, Jun 13, 2005.

1. coimanro

coimanro New Member

Got in my collection of silver coins a Morgan dollar dated 1893-S in Fine grade.Anyone knows what its value might be??

Also,got a british farthing dated 1884 in Fine and Argentina,2 centavos,1890,XF.

Thanks for your help.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Howdy coimanro - Welcome to the Forum !!

I have to make a couple of assumptions here - first of all that the 1893-S Morgan is genuine, secondly that it is in Fine grade. If so - and it was slabbed and authenticated as being that grade by one of the top grading companies - it would likely sell for $3,000 - $3,500.

Now I mean no offense by my comments. But that is one of the most counterfeited and altered coins there is. So just about everyone will assume it is a counterfeit until it is proved otherwise.

As for the other two coins - less than a dollar each.

4. mr22601

mr22601 New Member

not trying to be rude gdjmsp but 9 out of ten of your responces to questions are that its probably fake ,,, my question to u is have you got burned a few times in your day cause certainly 9 out of ten coins cant be counterfiet ,can it ? lol

5. whoopig

whoopig New Member

He is just suspect of raw high value coins because a lot of fakes are circulating out there. Morgans, Trade dollars, and gold pieces are counterfeited in very high numbers and it is always a good idea to be suspect of raw, high dollar coins. Any trade dollar collector will tell you not to buy one unless it is in a reputable third party holder because the fakes far out number the real ones. Mintmarks and dates can also be altered. Unless you know for a fact it is real always be suspect of them or have a reputable dealer look at it first.

6. satootoko

satootoko Retired

[​IMG]

7. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

Yes they sure can....think of it this way....

Should we tell people its real and worth a great deal or money...and then let them find out latter that we were wrong and then they would be mad at us....

Or

Should we tell them it might be fake and then when we find out its real tell them.

Speedy

8. crystalk64

crystalk64 Knight of the Coin Table

One of the DUMBEST things I have ever done in my life is to sell my 1893S and 1894P Morgan dollars! What in the world could I have been thinking? Have the coin checked by a dealer or send it in to be authenticated. And then hold on to it like it is something very very special as IT is! Wish you luck on this one!

9. mr22601

mr22601 New Member

again, i wasnt making a punt at him, i was just wondering ,i swear im going back to collecting stamps this stuff is way too confusing ,,, way to many variables to determine , good bad , grade , real, fake , its allmost bad as baseballcards i got like 350000 and at one time they were worth thousands amung thousands ,, then the grading companies came in and took the fun and value out of them ,, today no one wants to even look at a card thats not graded,,,, what a shame ,,,, 38 years of collecting ,, for what??? i give up,lol

10. GDJMSP

I don't take your comments to be rude at all. Quite the contrary - most of the time I am reluctant to say that the coin is probably fake for fear of offending the person asking the question. But with a coin like a '93-S Morgan - one of the two great rarities of the Morgan dollars - would I not be doing the questioner a greater disservice by not mentioning the possibility ?

My goal here is to share with others what knowledge I have gained about coins in the past 45 yrs. of collecting them and studying them. So when someone asks a question - I do my best to answer it. Am I wrong sometimes ? You bet I am - too many times. But when I am, I admit it - stick my foot in my mouth and move on - trying not to make the same mistake again. That's about all any of us can do.

But you throw up a pic of a '79-S or an '85-CC and ask what the grade is and what it's worth - and I'll give you my opinion. Don't think I've ever said that one of those was fake though. But that's because they usually aren't fake. It's certainly possible they could be fake - it's just not probable. But a '93-S Morgan - because of the value, extra care is needed.

Now you asked a valid question as to whether or not I've ever been burned and bought a counterfeit or fake coin. To the best of my knowledge - no I have not. But then I take great care when I buy coins. Not everybody does.

11. when i was younger so much younger than today... sorry i couldn't resist. :p
    i thought i had found the elusive 1969 double die lincoln. on my way downtown to get it authenticated i was fantasizing on how i would spend the money. when i got to the guys office it as intimidating. it was in a high-rise office building. i was buzzed into a waiting room with just a small chair and table but a large camera pointing at me. then buzzed through another door into this gentlemans office. i mean this was big time. he looked at my coin for all of three seconds and told me it was machine doubling.

so relating to this topic about fakes, it was at that point my rules about rare finds changed. i now assume everything i find is fake, or not what it appears to be, until i can prove other wise.

it makes for less disappointment. doesn't mean i have stopped looking for a 69 ddo to call my own!!! :rolleyes:

happy hunting,

michael

12. coimanro

coimanro New Member

My coin its not a fake!

My dollar is graded and real.

13. Speedy

Great....what Co. graded it...I hope it will be PCGS, NGC, ANACS, ICG...but what one?

Speedy

14. bzcollektor

bzcollektor SSDC Life Member

What is your opinion on the grade of this GDJMSP? This is not a test, :D
    I just would like your honest opinion.

Attached Files:

15. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

That coin's worthless, bzcollektor. You should immediately just send it to me for disposal.

16. JBK

JBK Coin Collector

With all due respect, if the coin is already graded and slabbed for authenticity and condition, isn’t that worth mentioning in the original post? In that case, if it is one of the respected companies, then determining the price is pretty much a done deal.

The warning about fakes was legitimate, but could have been avoided if the slabbing had been mentioned originally.

17. bzcollektor

Also with respect, I think it is obvious that it is slabbed, so I saw no need to mention. I just wanted an opinion from someone with more than just a passing knowledge.

Bruce

18. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

All seriousness aside, here's this rookie's opinions:

PCGS: MS64+
    NGC: MS65. No, wait, MS64+. No, never mind. MS63. WAIT! NO! Um,
    PCI: MS65
    NNC: OMGWTFBBQLOLXOBXHUEGMS69+++!!!!!!oneone

Although I'm new to this, I'm pretty anal about my hobbies and learning Morgans is now consuming 30 hours a week of my time. The consensus opinion of a bunch (50+) high-res pics of 85CC's currently residing on my harddrive (told you I was anal) says it's MS64 if slabbed by one of the top 3. I'd bid it as MS63.

19. Speedy

I don't think he was talking about your Morgan...he was talking about the 1893-S that the guy that started this thread has.

Speedy

20. bzcollektor

I probably should have started my own thread with this, I apologise. It is in an NGC
    holder. It is MS65 and I concur. I took over 50 pics and chose these two as displaying the coin in a way that highlights every possible scuff. The kind of pics
    you will NEVER see from a seller online, with the exception perhaps, of Heritage.
    All of the grey looking scuffs in the pics are exaggerated by lighting. The coin is one
    of the whitest Morgans I own. I own over 40 Morgans in MS64 from both NGC,
    PCGS (including OGH holders), and even one from ICG. Alot of my VAMS are in ANACS
    holders. With that consensus in mind, and comparing it to the few MS65 I have,
    (and the hundreds I have seen) this coin compares favorably with a better MS65.

This post is meant in no way to be argumentative, or "defensive" of my coin.
    I really want to hear honest opinions . I may post a thread tommorow (since I
    hijacked this one) showing this coin and others in different lighting conditions
    if anyone is interested in such a thread.

BTW SuperDave, I also enjoy keeping a library of pics. God bless big hard drives!!!

Bruce

21. GDJMSP

Geeeex bz - ya gotta gimme time to at least read it before ya post the answer :D

I woulda passed though ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted