1893 Morgan what's your Opinion of grade

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by bigdog69, Aug 23, 2006.

1. bigdog69

bigdog69 Member

Hey Guys & Ladies
    I picked up this Morgan the other day , and I was wondering if you would offer me your opinion on grade and value?:bow:

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. nesvt

nesvt Coin Hoarder

That 3 looks a little strange. Almost looks like an 1898 that was re-worked. Could be my old eyes. Do you have a close-up of the date?

4. nesvt

nesvt Coin Hoarder

I was just looking at the Morgan VAM book. It shows images of the 3's used on Morgan dollars. The one used on the 1893 is completely different than 1883 and 1903. The image of the 3 on the 1893 coin looks just like yours!

5. sf340flier

sf340flier New Member

It's hard to tell from the picture, but I don't see any wear. It does look like the coin might have been cleaned due to lack of luster and some lines (but again, this is really hard to tell from the photo). Without wear, I'm thinking 63 for lack of luster. If there is wear, AU55.

I don't have my VAM book at work, but it sounds like you may have a nice VAM find!

6. danbook

danbook New Member

Hi, date looks OK and Opinion only,appears to be an unc. Without looking at the coin itself,grading is not possible because flaws are not always visible on a jpeg.. Good luck!

7. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

IMHO this coin is NOT MS....I would grade it AU50---from what I can see the hight points show wear.

Speedy

8. ALF

ALF Member

I would conservatively grade your coin as VF+- AU and put a value of $200-$300. Nice Morgan!

9. ALF

ALF Member

I would like to correct myself. After looking more closely at your coin, I grade it XF- AU with a value of $200-$300. Once again, nice coin!

10. YNcoinpro_U.S.

YNcoinpro_U.S. New Member

The coin looks AU-55ish to me maybe a 58. I would call that coin a $450-500 coin.

11. Jim M

Jim M Ride it like ya stole it

Nice coin. I would put it in the AU53 - AU55 Range from what I have been seeing. $300-$325

12. b.j.

b.j. Senior Member

There is a slight amount of wear on it. I would give it AU-50 - AU-55. However, it does appear to have been cleaned reducing its value some.

13. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

nesvt was thinkin the same thing I was thinkin, but I agree with him.

I'd say the coin has AU58 details but has been over-dipped - net AU50.

14. Irishraider

Irishraider New Member

I'll go AU-55 on it.

15. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

How about AU-53.

B

16. bigdog69

bigdog69 Member

Thanks everybody for the opinions ,I guessed about AU50-55 . I picked it up for $125.00 ! so I guess I did OK . My daughter likes it a lot ( shes 10 years old ) I know there were 378000 minted but does anybody have an educated guess of how many are still around after government recalls and remelting? I do realize theres no way to know for sure but I'm still curious

17. zaneman

zaneman Former Moderator

Your coin appears to be an au-58, however it may get a slight knock in the grade due to lack of luster.

18. Jim M

Jim M Ride it like ya stole it

I know of at least 5. 6 if in fact you have that one. : )

Actually, My guesstimate. (rubbing crystal ball here) I think that there are 294840 left.

Draft saved Draft deleted