1888 Last 8/7 possible with picture

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by slimdadof2, Mar 18, 2009.

1. slimdadof2

slimdadof2 New Member

I have been looking through my grandmothers coins and I found a 1888 Indian Head Penny with a possible overdate stamp. I tried to get a close up of the last 8. It definately looks like the overdate, but the picture is not the best. What do you guys think?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

On almost every 1888/7 Indian Cent there are two markers to look for on the obverse side. First, the tip eighth feather (next to last on the right) is weak and appears level with the surrounding field. Second, there is a short cud on the rim next to the T in UNITED.

On the genuine 88/7 the under-7 is apparent on the top left and the bottom left of the final 8. I'm inclined to think yours may just be a chipped die. A full picture of the obverse would be nice.

4. KurtS

KurtS Die variety collector

I share DavidH's sentiments. It would also be good to see the whole date in relation to the bust and denticles because that helps determine the die. I believe I've seen this same die before, and it threw me for a loop--but on closer inspection I found the raised "ear" below the 8 was at a slightly different position. Another thing to consider--this is a fairly worn coin and sometimes hits will raise areas to look like overdates. Still, for $4, you can send it to Rick Snow and he'll give his opinion--he's pretty much the expert on IHCs.

Here are a few pics of the diagnostics for the 1888/7 Snow-1

overdate:
    [​IMG]

rim cud:
    [​IMG]

5. slimdadof2

slimdadof2 New Member

The coin is so worn that the rim cud by the "T" would not be visible anyways. Maybe with a different picture.

6. RUFUSREDDOG

RUFUSREDDOG Senior Member

Ihc 1888/7

Another Granny's knickers story~Of her many IHC's that came my way I pulled this one out as special and have considered making my 1st attempt to get something certified. Took it to the local shop but IHC's are too boring and "not what they are into" there but they did offer to have it shipped off and looked at. I decided to not hand it over.

They seemed more of the "Will That me cash or charge?" for the service of taking the coin. Something I never want associated with my granny's knickers.

Instead, I've tried to photo the areas of interest 1st. Have learned here on CT I can ship it off to Rick Snow, the man in the know, and it may happen, but I don't want to waste his time.

The "weak 8th feather" is moot as the entire right side is weak but still, the rim seems intact. And now I've talked myself into thinking a cud MAY have been on the left.

I'm going to take it out of the airtight, try to get better pictures and posting them in my "Know Cents" album here.

Attached Files:

7. just coins

just coins New Member

I don't see any evidence of an over date in these pics

JC Formerly Jazzcoins Joe

8. RUFUSREDDOG

RUFUSREDDOG Senior Member

:( Thanky for a prompt honest opinion, Joe. You know how the mind leads ones eye towards good things, real or not.

The last "8" just didn't look like the other 1888's she had, pulled out the Red Book, Popped it into an airtight for later fun.

Guess I'll wrap it up and sell it on eBay in a roll of "Unsearch IHC's".:goofer:

9. just coins

just coins New Member

I just want to show you what you were seeing on the last eight i would say it;s caked up dirt that was giving the apearance, There's alot of dirt around the the digits as you can see. It may be a well placed very small die chip too, they do end up in the strangest places you know , and in the wrong places to try and confuse you .

Here's you coin with more light on the specimen.

JC

Attached Files:

10. goodeye299

goodeye299 New Member

This is a 1888. 8 over 7 Indian head penny, has the cud by the t&e and the last eight has the bottom of the 7 sticking out tell me what you think. Ge299

Attached Files:

11. KurtS

I see the cud, and the date appears to be in the right place. It would be good to see a close up of the date area to confirm.

goodeye299 likes this.
  12. goodeye299

goodeye299 New Member

Here is a close up of the date

Attached Files:

KurtS likes this.
  13. KurtS

Even at that resolution, I think I see the primary 8/7 marker.

goodeye299 likes this.
  14. goodeye299

goodeye299 New Member

Kurt's here a better resolution of the date

Attached Files:

15. KurtS

Based on your last pic, if that were my coin...I would be pretty confident I had found the Snow-1 1888/7--congrats! :D

goodeye299 likes this.
  16. goodeye299

goodeye299 New Member

I thank you for your opinion.

KurtS likes this.
  17. lewistj

lewistj New Member

I've got an 1888 Indian Head penny that's date looks unusual to me. Thought it might be 1888/7, but both the 8s in 88 look different from the 8 in 18. Any comment on that. Not sure how to attach a photo. It seems to want a URL, my photos are on my computer. Thanks

18. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

This is an ancient thread. Figure out how to upload a picture and start a new thread and you will get answers. Welcome to CT!

19. lewistj

lewistj New Member

20. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

good luck

Draft saved Draft deleted