1887 7/6 Morgan Silver Dollar

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by coinage 10, Aug 23, 2007.

1. coinage 10

coinage 10 New Member

Many years ago when I was a kid I purchased this coin for $4.75 (at that time it was described as “Choice BU”). I know its tough to tell with these images, but I’d sure appreciate anyone’s opinion or approximation regarding its grade or condition.

I have supplied a PCGS certified example (MS-64) for comparison – if helpful. I know absolutely nothing about the “VAM System”, and based on a few other certified examples of other Morgan Dollars I’ve seen feel really hopeless at assessing anything better than MS-60 (at least with Morgan Dollars).

Thanks, A.J.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rftbunny

rftbunny New Member

im new to coins but if your coin is the one ontop those are really nice... and i think they would definately get over ms60

4. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

I'd call it ms-63

5. MorganLady

MorganLady New Member

Hi,

I’m into Morgans and that’s one of the nicest coins I’ve seen in quite a while. MS-65 seems possible to me.

6. Jim M

Jim M Ride it like ya stole it

MS63 with a bath years ago. The coin looks dull to me, but it could be the pictures.

7. tjenkins_1983

tjenkins_1983 Numismaniac

I'm pretty sure it's the pictures. I've noticed that same dullness on coins that have been scanned. Actual pictures are much brighter.

8. zaneman

zaneman Former Moderator

I hope I am wrong about this, but I don't believe that your morgan is the overdate variety. There typically is a raised piece of metal from where the overdate was to the lef of the 7, and the metal to the right is more pronounced on the 7/6 than what I am seeing on yours. :(

9. Jako lipo

Jako lipo New Member

i think it is a strongly dipped au-58 i see wear on the hair

10. huntsman53

huntsman53 Supporter**

I agree with zaneman that it is not the 1887/6 overdate! I also agree with Jako lipo that it is a strongly dipped AU-58 as there is wear on Miss Liberty's hair and there is some rub on the Eagle's breast!

Frank

11. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I'd say AU50, and I don't think it's the O/D either.

12. coinage 10

coinage 10 New Member

I suppose I asked a foolish question – at least that’s my impression from many of the answers.

I’d thought to give some information before the coin slides down into “Good condition with a bath”. The images were provided with the aid of a scanner, and the coin is very shiny (at least equal to the PCGS sample provided). I had to reduce the size for the sake of the 100 KB limit (5.22 MB initially). The hair doesn’t show well in the image I provided, and I guess it’s the scanner.

As for the 7 over 6 issues; I suppose I didn’t provide adequate proof. The coin when viewed at the correct angle gives little doubt in that regard. I have shown this coin to several dealers and the like, and although there was some variability as to condition, there was almost always admiration and I cannot remember any question regards authenticity.

I have learned a great deal from the responses, and I hope the contagion of the opinion doesn’t discourage others from using this site.

Thanks for your comments, A.J.

My Opinion: If this coin was dipped, it must have been standard procedure at the Philadelphia mint in the nineteenth century.

13. coinage 10

coinage 10 New Member

I've added some photos - whatever they're worth.

A.J.

Attached Files:

14. AdamL

AdamL Well-Known Member

I agree. I have scanned a morgan that I knew was unc, but had people tell me it was XF or AU. Grading from good photos is hard enough, grading from scans just can't be accurate.
    As for the overdate, I just recently started researching that sort of thing, so I don't know much, but I beleive Zane is right about the raised peice of metal.

15. GDJMSP

Here's the same picture you posted of the slabbed example. Look at both sides of the 7, see the edges of the underlying 6. Now look at the 1 and the first 8 - see the edges of the underlying numbers there as well. I do not see any of this on your example. That's why I do not think it is an over-date.

Attached Files:

16. coinage 10

coinage 10 New Member

GDJMSP,

Thanks for responding. I guess I was a bit ambiguous, but what you call the slabbed example is a picture taken of my coin with a digital blue microscope at 10X, and I must apologize. I should have made it clear by name and placement that it was a shot of my coin.

I appreciate the markers you placed (I wasn’t aware about the “1”).

Thanks, A.J.

17. Shortgapbob

Shortgapbob Emerging Numismatist

I agree witht the opinions that it is an AU coin and not a 7/6.

18. GDJMSP

If you say so coinage. I just can't figure out why the marks are visible in the one pic and not the other blow up you provided.

19. coinage 10

coinage 10 New Member

I can assure you GDJMSP; the two shots are of the same coin. The microscope made the difference, although I thought I could see it in the photos as well. I think you can see from my clumsy marks that it is the same coin. I've included a couple of other shots I took with my microscope - one very similar to the other (at 10X), and another one I took at 60X.

Attached Files:

20. JeromeLS

JeromeLS Coin Fanatic

GEF, nothing else. Might have been dipped, but the wear is cabinet/bag friction.

21. MorganLady

MorganLady New Member

The last set of close-ups show it is the same coin. You proved your point coinage10, but those pics could have been used earlier. I’m new to this site, but it isn’t dipped and is way better than AU. Get the coin certified, use ANACS

Draft saved Draft deleted