1886 o what would this grade

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by kevinslack, Jun 28, 2009.

1. kevinslack

kevinslack silvereagle

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Can you make closeup photo of obv & rev mint mark and date would help???

4. kevinslack

kevinslack silvereagle

not at this time, i just bought the coin and i hope its a ms coin the cheek looks pretty nice, i hope the rest is to at a closer look when i get it.

5. Mark Feld

Mark Feld Rare coin dealer

My best guess from those (difficult to read) images is AU55-58. Liberty's cheek and the eagle's breast both appear as if they might have light wear.

6. kevinslack

kevinslack silvereagle

ill be able to tell more when i get it, then i will post better pictures, with all the toneing at least it hasnt been cleaned im hoping for ms60, i want to sent it to pcgs for grading if it looks good.

7. mgChevelle

mgChevelle AMERICAN

hard to tell, but it might make ms

8. raider34

raider34 Active Member

Nice toning, the coin has some light wear, I would say AU50-AU55.

9. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

With the small photo I agree AU. but with a closeup it maybe MS.

10. codydude815

codydude815 Wannabe coin dealer

I think the eagle's breast has too much wear to be AU. Im gonna go with XF45-AU slider

11. coins123

coins123 Member

Id say au-55. Hope u didn't pay MS money for that coin. I collect Morgan dollars and know for a fact true MS 1886-o are very scarce. Most of the "MS" examples are really "AU" I see it on ebay all the time with sellers overgrading AU coins by calling them MS-xx. Big price difference between the two.

12. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

AU55 at best.
    I'd say AU50
    The hair and the eagle's breast have a good amount of wear, and the toning isn't that attractive, but that is just my opinion.

13. kevinslack

kevinslack silvereagle

when i get it i will put up better pictures. i dont think you can see the back good enough to see if the brest worn or not. i bought the coin by front picture which looked ms to me, hope the back is just as good as front. i have seen ms coins graded by pcgs that had alot of coin marks on them. the front of this coin looks pretty good to me but will know in acouple of days.

14. chip

chip Novice collector

As is often noted, grading from a photo is not very authoritative, you need to hold the coin, turn it this way and that, look at the details from different angles, from the photo I would call it a low xf, but that could only be the fault of the picture, or perhaps my puter screen needs to be windexed?

15. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

In a gloved hand is the best way to grade any coin.:kewl:

16. just coins

just coins New Member

Au 55 to me, there's toning on the coin but not a nice toning
    Joe

17. kevinslack

kevinslack silvereagle

ok i got better pictures and the toned coin isnt as good as i hoped, but i did pick up another one do you think it would make a ms coin, thanks for your input.

Attached Files:

18. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

No the coin isn't a MS coin. AU is as good as it gets with the coins pictured.

19. raider34

raider34 Active Member

Yep I still say around AU55, from the second pics it looks like it may have been artificially toned as well.

20. Boss

Boss Coin Hoarder

I agree with the low AU club. The obv toning is nice but the reverse looks like smoke toning like when someone AT's the coin with a cigar (I'm smoking one right now so maybe I just have cigar on the brain :bigeyes:)
    Nice coin regardless for a low mintage coin.

21. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

1886 New Orleans I had a few graded that look much like this 1886. some were MS-61 & AU58.
    but the wear on the cheek & breast fathers is there so AU-55 or if your lucky Au-58

Draft saved Draft deleted