1883 s morgan .... Is this an error ???

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by COINSTER, May 14, 2009.

1. COINSTER

COINSTER New Member

1883 s morgan .... Is this an error ???
    Hello everyone ,I am really a novice when it comes to coins ,i have been learning about modern errors . however I was given a bunch of old coins from a relative and when i looked close i realized that this coin had a mark on it that I did not see on any of the others .. this is a raised mark so I am pretty sure its not just a gouge or deep scratch .. Can you guys pls take a look and let me know what you think ... Thank You ahead of time for any help

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

4. huntsman53

huntsman53 Supporter**

I am not at all sure that the coin is authentic! If that is the case, then maybe someone in Shanghai had a conscience and "X'd" the Die to indicate that any coins struck by it are fakes. Close-up pics of both the Obverse and Reverse are need to make a better assessment of the coin itself!

Frank

5. Bedford

Bedford Lackey For Coin Junkies

Looks to be post mint damage to me.

6. just coins

just coins New Member

I would say the coin is a fake the x was put there to indicate that it's a fake ,so when somebody gets the coin they know it;s a fake. When you look at the x the images do look like die gouges because they look raised but there not it's to odd for two die gouges to cross each other. I do notice the rims just don't look right to me also a fake indeed
    JC

7. Bedford

Oh ,& it appears to be an authentic coin to me just damaged & well circulated.

8. ice

ice Just happy to be here

If you look closely you will see that it looks like someone took something sharp and cut the x into the coin and gave it a raised look. Ice

9. foundinrolls

foundinrolls Roll Searching Enthusiast

The X is raised. I've seen one other like this before. The mark was in the die causing the X to be raised lines and not scratched into the coin.

I don't know the reason for the X or why the die was marked in such a way.

The coin is probably real.

Thanks,
    Bill

10. Bedford

I disagree . I have seen many coins with this type of damage & it is the metal being upset & lifited up from a deep scratch & then pushed back down somewhat from wear.

Respectfully - J

Draft saved Draft deleted