1883 CC Morgan - Die Break?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by CohibaCris, May 16, 2004.

1. CohibaCris

CohibaCris New Member

I ran across this coin a couple of weeks ago, and caught this possible die break last night...
    Has anyone ran into die breaks such as this, and confirm that this is a true die break situation. I have looked at many 1883 CC GSA cased Morgans, and the only example I can find with this feature is, believe it or not, on CoinFacts.

1883 CC Morgan on CoinFacts

Thanks for any help in advance,
    Cris

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. erkhes

erkhes New Member

i dont think its die break i dont collect morgan dollars but if you look at the picture and compare they are same.

4. CohibaCris

CohibaCris New Member

But take a look at this one I found out there....
    No Die Break

This one and all of the others I have found don't have this feature.....

5. National dealer

National dealer New Member

Can you get a better close up pic of your coin?

6. CohibaCris

CohibaCris New Member

I can get one in a few days. I am traveling for the job, and won't be able to get to it until Thursday or Friday.

The protrusion from the wreath on the right is flat and has no wavy features to it. The line around the area is rather sharp and looks to be the same height all the way around the feature.

Until Thursday, this is the best I can do. I am getting a better camera. My little piece of junk can't do a macro shot, and that is what I need for this stuff.....

Cris

7. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

No need for better pics - the ones you have are fine. The mark you are thinking is a die break is actually a die clash and it is well known. Don't feel bad though - I made the exact same mistake myself ;) I thought it was a die crack :D

8. CohibaCris

CohibaCris New Member

Thanks a bunch! My breaks and cracks are clashing

Does this add any premium to the value of the coin?

9. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

To some collectors it may add a small premium - but certainly nothing to get excited about. At least money wise. Even so - it is a neat collectible ;)

10. CohibaCris

CohibaCris New Member

Yep, that is all I was really concerned about. It was an interesting night when I went dancing around the house with that GSA holder in my hand yelling "I found something!!!" :D

Thank you for the knowledge. I am a happy camper!

11. National dealer

National dealer New Member

Must be my bad eyes. I would certainly take GDJMSP's word for it.

Hey cohibacris, you are developing an eye for your coins. That is a good thing. If you keep that up, all kinds of small varieties will start popping up :D

12. CohibaCris

CohibaCris New Member

That is honestly what I am most afraid of! :D

13. laz

laz New Member

A die crack will appear as a scratch,but under close examination,you'll see that the scratched area is raised and not incuse like a scratch would be. Morgan Dollars are actually prone to having small die cracks connecting the stars on the obverse. It almost looks from the picture that there may be a small crack connecting the top right of the E in ONE to the wreath on the reverse,but it could just be the picture. ~ Jim

Draft saved Draft deleted