1879 O $1 guess grade

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by rhoggman, Aug 12, 2008.

1. rhoggman

rhoggman New Member

Got a new Morgan... hopefully a PQ coin for the grade as this is always my strategy. Please guess the grade let me know what you think. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. sf340flier

sf340flier New Member

This one has it all, strike, luster, eye appeal and is clean save a few frosty breaks...

66 is my call!

4. quicknight

quicknight Member

Was the coin in a holer when the picture was taken? It looks like the 87 is doubled on the top, possibly the 1 also. Either way, it's a beautiful coin. I call it a 64 but it would help to see the coin at different angles to see how much scuff is on the face. It could possibly be a 65 but I tend to grade conservatively.

5. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

MS62

I note that this is another scan from DLRC, so there could be more luster and the grade might get pushed up one notch.

Speedy

6. rhoggman

rhoggman New Member

The coin is in an NGC holder. Those are the best pictures I have. If you click on them, and then click on the forum rendering in the next screen, they become slightly enlarged.
    I'll have to look at the VAMs to see if anything matches your description.... I picked up a R5 1878P without noticing until later it was missing a nostril.

7. rhoggman

rhoggman New Member

I was kind of debating what was holding this coin up from getting a higher grade. You think luster? You might be right because the surfaces are almost free of any serious marks.

You are right it is a DLRC scan.

8. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

MS63 maybe a 64

9. rhoggman

rhoggman New Member

What reason makes you think it would grade as low as a 62?

10. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

If it's as clean as it looks in the picture , MS-64 maybe 65 .
    rzage

11. Irespire

Irespire Senior Member

I personally would grade MS 62 or 63. It's probably in a higher grade holder.

12. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

13. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

I can't grade well from (DLRC) scans, but I don't think the cheek is clean enough to guess any higher than 64.

14. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

I would say 63. The scans probably make it look worse than it really is.

15. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

16. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

From what I can see, the fields and cheek look very clean. I'll say MS65, and a great strike for an O.

17. quicknight

quicknight Member

I kept going back to VAM-13 with the doubling, but I can tell if it is actually doubled or just a reflection off the holder. VAM-39 shows a nice example of the 7 double as posted on VAMworld.

18. rhoggman

rhoggman New Member

I'll have to let you know when I get it in the mail.

19. rhoggman

rhoggman New Member

NGC says it is a MS63. I thought it looked awfully clean for a 63. In the picture it is hard to even see actual scratches. To me the marks on the face just look like breaks in the luster.

Regardless of the cheeck marks I think this coin probably deserves to be a 64..... I'll have to let you know what I find when it gets in.

Draft saved Draft deleted