1878 7TF/ Missing Nostril VAM???

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by rhoggman, Aug 7, 2008.

1. rhoggman

rhoggman New Member

I purchased this coin earlier, and it has already been in another thread for guessing the grade. When I looked closer at it I noticed the upper lip and the nostril looked weird.
    There are a couple "missing nostril" VAMs in the top 50, and several others with the same characteristic.
    Anybody know which VAM this may be?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

Here is my 8/7 TF VAM. Strong doubling in LIBERTY, 5 TF exposed and a messed up nostil. This was one of my first pictures I took of my coins, so it is not the best, but I understand what you are asking.

Attached Files:

4. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Joe did they use Elvis for the model of you coin ?
    rzage

5. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

I think they may have... Thank you for asking... Thank you very much. ;)

6. rhoggman

rhoggman New Member

It seems to me the missing nostril characteristic goes along with the lip issue.

Does the lip issue show up on other VAMs as well?

7. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

Well, you have this lip issue....

Attached Files:

8. quicknight

quicknight Member

The closest I can find with the short nock and parallel arrow feathers with a missing nostril is VAM 132. In that pic the nostril is partial missing (as shown in VAMworld). Not a top 100 VAM but still distinctive getting an R4. I haven't seen anything particular to the lip but it is possible to be a side note in another VAM.

9. rhoggman

rhoggman New Member

Hmmm... You may be right about this. I can't seem to match it with any of the VAMworld pictures.

The nostril & mouth look most like VAM 79, but the reverse is clearly different.

10. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

thats sick .....

11. rhoggman

rhoggman New Member

Actually that looks like an entirely different variety.

12. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

It is.. Its the 88O "hot lips" VAM. I just threw it up there to be funny. I guess I wasn't that funny. Spock, was thinking dirty. ;)

13. rhoggman

rhoggman New Member

Any other Morgan VAM experts out there that have a say on this???

14. rhoggman

rhoggman New Member

Vam-190a R5

Hey all... just wanted to say I have finally confirmed this to be a VAM-190a (R5).

Short Nock Reverse
    Parallel Feather
    Reverse Die Crack
    Die clash of n next to Liberty's neck (this is very hard to see)
    Missing Nostril

This was hard for me to diagnose because the die crack on the reverse was not listed as an attribute, although it should be as it makes this VAM much easier to spot. You would think the nostril would give it away, but there is a variation of of VAM 131 that has the same diagnosis. Furthermore, the die clash is nearly impossible to find (need a better magnifier).... This also may be because of the die state of my particular coin. I have reason to believe mine is an example of a later die state than the one pictured on VAMworld due to my die crack being much more pronounce and longer.

Also I thought it neat to mention there are no "certified", and attributed examples of this die state higher than MS61, and only one in that grade. Mine is a 62, but not attributed (except by me). At first I thought this could be good, until I realized VAMquest sold a PCGS certified old holder MS63, unattributed for a mere $90.......

Finally enough squinting paid off, and it is neat to know my otherwise common Morgan has a great deal of "uniqueness" to it.

Anybody know what the market price might be?

15. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

Congrats on your attribution Rhoggman! I will give you a dollar for it. I think that would be a even trade. ;)

16. quicknight

quicknight Member

Way to go Rhoggman. It's alway fun to hear someone find a VAM morgan. I, unfortunately, am still looking for that piece of uniqueness. (uniqueness? is that word) :whistle:

Draft saved Draft deleted