1867 Indian Head Cent

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by shatsi, Nov 20, 2005.

1. shatsi

shatsi Senior Member

I know we're been grading Indian head cents recently so while we're on the subject can you help grade mine??

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

DIPPED---AU50 NET....UNC Detailes....I would say MS62 would be fine if it hadn't been for the dipping....

Speedy

4. shatsi

shatsi Senior Member

Speedy, how can you figure out its dipped?

5. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

I believe the give aways is generally the dirt build up near the letters in the cracks. But I can be wrong ;)

Its a pretty coin though....

Ruben

6. PyrotekNX

PyrotekNX Senior Member

It's definitely been altered, wouldn't be suprised if it was also lightly whizzed.

7. Speedy

The few things I see is....
    #1....its a circulated coin but it is a RED color...that isn't normal...
    #2....a cent starts to tone brown when oxygen gets to the medal....therefor by this time it would be a brown....not the color it is...
    #3....the color is more of a brassy look....not a true copper color RED.
    #4....around the letters and such its darker and that would point to a cleaning or a dipping.

The way I've found this out is from buying what I thought were RED IHC and they turned out to be dipped....

Speedy

8. shatsi

shatsi Senior Member

I see what you're saying. I can always return it as the seller has a good refund policy 100%.

9. PyrotekNX

PyrotekNX Senior Member

I don't see any evidence of wear at all, there are 4 diamonds visible. The diamonds are the first thing to wear. It has enough detail to be a proof. I'd say undipped it would have graded ms65/66.

10. Speedy

Here is the wear..
    The very top of the first 2 feathers--the hair right about the ear and below LIBERTY...and the hair right above the date.
    It isn't a proof.....I'm 99.9999% sure of that.

Speedy

11. PyrotekNX

PyrotekNX Senior Member

You have better eyes than I do Speedy. I don't think it's a proof, I was saying it appeared to have prooflike details. I dont think it was ever circulated, at least not for long because there arent any marks on it. That tiny bit of wear could have been from sliding around in a safety deposit box or something. Looks like the previous owner saw all the r/b toning and got the bright idea to dip it. It's a real shame too because quality indian cents are starting to become very scarce.

There really aren't many raw red ms indians of any date around anymore. Anything pre 1890 are becoming very scarce. The quality ones were all hoarded up and slabbed before my time. The only ones selling on fleabay are the rejects. It's a shame because they were the best looking small cent ever made IMO.

I wish I had the money to put together a quality Indian collection including the FRNs. $5 1899, $10 buffalo note and of course the gold Indians. It would make a nice display.

I wouldn't mind having some black eagle FRNs either.

Here is a great Onepapa replica.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1899-5-INDIAN-S...8352635771QQcategoryZ3417QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

12. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

I'd go with the MS63,4 or 5. But what I'd really grade it as is WOW. I like that coin. Wish it was in my album regardless of any dipping or whatever.

13. shatsi

shatsi Senior Member

I know what you're saying. I don't like collecting cleaned or dipped coins but I seem to be attracted to this one. I might end up keeping it :cool:

14. PyrotekNX

PyrotekNX Senior Member

It still might be worth the investment to encapsulate it. PCGS would probably bodybag it, but I'm sure a reputable grader would do it.

15. Speedy

Ah...now there was something I hadn't thought of....but IMO wear is wear...

True...and the older MS ones are a dark brown....the RED just does something to me that the brown can't do....

Speedy

Draft saved Draft deleted