1865 USA dollar

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by mali, Oct 9, 2006.

1. mali

mali New Member

Hi
    can someone give me the history of this silver US dollar.Obverse side wrote a picture and above te picture indicates LIBERTY and below the picture is a date 1865,and below the chin of the face idicates IN GOD WE TRUST.

reverse side is eagle and above the eagle EPLURIBUS UNUM,under both sides of the eagle wings is engraved FAC TMILE and below the flower is ONE DOLLAR.
    I will be glad to have your imput.
    mali

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TOLS196024

TOLS196024 New Member

Sure looks like a Washington Quarter to me?

4. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

Tols is right mali,what you have is a US quarter dollar from 1965.Unfortunately it is in pretty bad shape and is only worth face value of 25 cents.If it was one year earlier,1964,it would be made of silver and worth a bit more.

5. mali

mali New Member

what is marked on the reverse is ONE DOLLAR
    thanx
    mali

6. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

It is damaged in that area,it says "quarter dollar".
    Here is one I got in change today.
    and here is your image where I've drawn in where the words "quarter and "1965" were.You can still see some of the outlines on your original.

Attached Files:

7. B12

B12 Coin Hoarder

Looks to me like someone just altered the coin.

8. mali

mali New Member

and the date is 1865 and not 1965,am not blind
    thanx
    mali

9. Magman

Magman U.S. Money Collector

this would be a dollar from 1865:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(thanks to coinfacts).

presidents didnt start appearing on coins until way later.

10. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

Me thinks Troll Alert...

11. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

I think b12 might be right.If it does say "FACSIMILE " under the eagle's wings,it has been altered.There IS something there that doesn't belong.

Attached Files:

12. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

IMHO the whole coin is fake...nothing is right...

Speedy

13. SapperNurse

SapperNurse DOD enhanced

Troll alert? that is a new one on me. can someone elaborate that phrase to a newbie like me?

Between this thread and mali's other it is almost like they are tryign to find the faults with fakes they have manufactured to make em better......

14. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

Mali,
    Do you mind if I ask where you got these two coins?I noticed you posted another one on a new thread,both of which have been altered to read 1865.Very interesting.

15. mali

mali New Member

mali

hi
    it is the same coin except that i took a new picture with good lighting,but there are a lot alterations that someone made to my coin look fake or whatever.
    ad amatter ofact i dont know if it is fake or genuine,but one thing that i know of is that what is written is not what your altered images are.
    mali

16. mali

mali New Member

that is right someone just altered the coin between my first posting and the post reply.
    mali

17. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

No one changed your photos---they are the ones that you uploaded.....the coins in the photos that you posted are fake---I'm 100% sure of that...there is no chance that it is real.

Speedy

18. zaneman

zaneman Former Moderator

I think it is a counterfeit quarter as well. Notice the shape of the eagle is different as well, the rims etc.

19. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

mali,
    The only reason I wrote on your photos was to point out to you where the word "quarter" was originally placed on your coin.On your original picture,the Q and R are still clearly visible and if it DOES read ONE,then someone has altered the coin itself.I probably made a mistake on the date,if the new clearer photo on your other thread reads 1865,then it has also been changed.
    You said in the original post that it has something like FAC TMILE under the eagle's wings.This is probably the English word FACSIMILE which means "reproduction" or "copy".It's also where the word "fake" comes from.
    From my experience,nobody on this forum will ever tell you anything that they don't believe to be true.:)

20. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

You folks that are calling it an altered quarter had better learn to take a closer look at your coins.

He didn't mention the size but I would not be surprised to learn that it is the size of an Ike dollar. It is NOT an altered quarter, it is a complete fake/fantasy piece that is based on the design of a 1965 quarter dollar.

It appears to be potmetal and not a silver alloy. The proportions of the bust are off slightly, I don't think the date font is right. On the reverse the eagle is too small compared to the size of the coin. (wings are too small and the tips are too far away from the rims.) The olive branches below the eagle are completely wrong. (Stems are straight instead of curved, leaf arrangement is complely different.) The word facsimile, meaning copy, is stamped in the field below the wings. I would say that it was almost certainly made before 1973 because it does not comply with the hobby protection act, and possibly before 1965 because of the difference in the date font.

In any case it is definitely NOT made any time around 1865. probably early 1960's. So it is a complete and utter fake.

21. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

Conder,
    Basically,I agree with you and have no idea what this "piece" is exactly but until I see a good closeup of the reverse,I still think it originally said "quarter" and has either been damaged or altered.Since mali has the coin in hand,if he says it has "one" in that spot,I will not dispute it.As for the hobby protection act,he did say it has something like "facsimile" on the reverse and although I can't read it,I think that would cover the legal requirement for fantasy pieces.No?

Draft saved Draft deleted