1865 Mexican/Maximiliano gold token/coin

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by jaceravone, Feb 23, 2010.

1. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

Can anyone share any info on these. A friend of mine gave one of these two me without any history on he acquired the other than he has had for a long time.

I started to do some digging around on the internet only to find that these coins were mass counterfeited. Is there a good website to help me determine if the one I have is legit or a fake? I did find one site that has some good info, but not the detailed info that I was looking for.

THe coin I have has the bust of Maximilian facing to the left with Maximiliano Emperador on the obverse and the Mexican Eagle on the reverse with the date 1865 below the eagle's perch. Also says Imperio Mexicano on the reverse above the Eagle. You nearly need a 16x loupe to really look at this coin because it is so small. My findings yielded many, many die cracks all throughout the coin which I understand is typical for a small coin like this.

Thanks for any help that if offered.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. silvereagle82

silvereagle82 World Gold Collector

jaceravone,
    What I can find in world gold numismatic reference books is .... NOTHING !
    It has got to be a token "gold or gold plated"of some sort and not a gold coin.
    The only Maximilian gold coin I can find is a 20 pesos dated 1866 ... which is very uncommon with a mintage of on;y 8,274

4. stainless

stainless ANTONINIVS

5. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

Some are replicas and others are not. Mine looks like that, but the bust of Maximillian is facing the other way.

6. Nilo Marquez

Nilo Marquez New Member

Here is close up of my Mexican Max coin. Just simply looking for authentication and feedback. No big deal.

Attached Files:

7. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Better photos! It appears to be a fantasy token. One, there is no denomination on it ( 1 P or 1 Peso). If it is really gold, it should weigh 1.69 grams for the monetary system in use then, most imitations are less than a gram. So weigh it , school chem lab, jeweler, or someone that deals in gram weight. Jim

8. Nilo Marquez

Nilo Marquez New Member

Correct, thank you, no denomination and weighs at, 0.038 grams so a fantasy token maybe for a wedding or something.

9. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

These Maximilian fantasies are quite common, like the wedding tokens that seem to pop up everywhere, like mushrooms after the rain, or ants at a picnic.

But it's not surprising that they're so attention-grabbing.

10. xlrcable

xlrcable Active Member

These are worth talking about, if only because those of us who look at Mexican coins on eBay have to slog through so many of them.

They've been around for decades. Neil Utberg listed something similar in The Coins of the Republic of Mexico 1823-1905. He shows a tiny gold medal, about 10mm in diameter, with Maximilian's head on one side (a crude facsimile of the Maximilian silver peso) and a small eagle on the other with the date 1865. He goes on: "With a magnifier you will note a small initial 'B' on the medal. This is the initial of Sr. Baron who had the medal struck and is still having them struck." That was in the 1960s. Utberg seems to have included the medal in his book to dispel a widespread perception that it was really an old coin.

The version that's common today lacks the initial "B" but looks very similar, like the photos in post #5. Like Sr. Baron's original medal, it's often represented as a gold one peso coin (as silvereagle points out, an impossibility in 1865) but just as often as a gold-plated souvenir piece. They usually trade for a few bucks, but yeah, occasionally you see one sell for a price that makes you cringe.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  11. sonlarson

sonlarson World Silver Collector

To illustrate how small these really are.

dimepeso.JPG

sakata and lordmarcovan like this.
  12. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

Wow, that IS small.

13. xlrcable

xlrcable Active Member

14. Nilo Marquez

Nilo Marquez New Member

I obtained this coin among others, from a, young child believe it or not like 12. His Uncle got him into collecting Mexican coins, and Sebastian got hooked. His Uncle lives in Mexico currently and shares his collection with Seb. I purchased from him as the uniqueness and quality of this coin. I will upload more pictures on, total weight, and measure with my digital Caliper with pictures.

15. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

Where did you find the oversized dime?

sonlarson likes this.
  16. Nilo Marquez

Nilo Marquez New Member

I'm not expecting it to be legit, but could be. I just like coins. Way more to come, lots more, in Mexican, and American coins.

Attached Files:

• max1.jpg
      max1.jpg
      File size:
      493.7 KB
      Views:
    • max2.jpg
      max2.jpg
      File size:
      441.4 KB
      Views:
Draft saved Draft deleted