1865 3 cent trends question

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by ertw, Mar 30, 2006.

1. ertw

ertw New Member

Hi everyone....starting on a small collection of American coinage (I guess that would be considered the dark side for me??). Anyways, just curious about trends price for an 1865 3 cent (nickel) piece - grade AU55. Also it is graded by ICCS.

Most of my coins are raw with the exception of a couple of ICCS graded items and I think they are fairly conservative but consistent with their grading of Canadian items. So I'm also wondering if anyone happens to have any opinions on ICCS grading standards on American coins. (I assume they are as respected as TPG opinions come - but probably not as often as PCGS, NGC and others). I'm asking only because the coin is listed on eBay, so I'm buying sight unseen (but seller does have return policy and I've dealt with them before and was happy).

Thanks for your help.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I have personally never seen a US coin that was graded by ICCS. Up until a month or two ago I didn't even know that ICCS graded US coins - then I found out they did. I have only seen a few coins that were graded by them at all. In those cases I couldn't see much difference from the way US graders graded world coinage. But most folks do seem to think they are more conservative - personally, I can't say.

4. Charlie32

Charlie32 Coin Collector

The Coin Dealer Newsletter(Greysheet) price is $42 in AU-50 and $78 in MS-60.

Charlie

5. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

They say that ICCS doesn't take eye appeal into the grade...so this coin might be a AU58 or even alow MS grade.
    I also haven't seen any US coins graded by them.....just passing on what I've heard.

Speedy

6. ertw

ertw New Member

Thanks to everyone for their input. Much appreciated.

Draft saved Draft deleted