1865 3¢ Piece

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Stop Motion, Apr 8, 2005.

1. Stop Motion

Stop Motion New Member

Hey guys,
    I might have the opportunity to maybe buy a 1865 3¢ Piece with the STAR.
    In the worst condition what is the most you would pay?
    In the 2005 Red Book at F-12 it's valued at $400.
    Thanks for your opinion,
    SM

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

That's the problem with the Red Book. I checked several ads and was able to find this coin offered for sale in F12 for about $20.

4. Stop Motion

Stop Motion New Member

I thought the 1865 3¢ nickel was worth $12?
    And the 1865 3¢ piece with the star was worth more?
    SM

5. GDJMSP

It is worth more, but not THAT much. I just got finished checking other closed auctions - the 1865 3 cent silver has sold numerous times in the AU50 - AU55 grades for between $500 - $600. And those were coins slabbed and graded by by NGC, ANACS, PCGS.

Anybody got a copy of the Grey Sheet that can look up Bid/Ask for Stop Motion ?

6. cdcda

cdcda New Member

There were two 3 cent pieces minted in 1865 - one was silver (with the star) and the other was copper-nickel. The copper-nickel piece is worth about $20 retail in fine while the rarer silver three cent piece is worth about $325 retail in fine.

7. cdcda

cdcda New Member

I should add, the range in price from F to AU for the 1865 silver three cent piece is not all that substantial and if you can afford, as GDJMSP referenced, you may want to try picking one up in AU for around $500 - $600.

8. Stop Motion

Stop Motion New Member

Thanks! :)
    So whats the best way to tell if it's the Silver Stared 3¢ piece?
    Thanks,
    SM

9. jody526

jody526 New Member

The best way is to get a Red Book and familiarize yourself with US type coins.

Until you can do that, here is what a Three-Cent Silver coin (Variety 3) looks like.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. GDJMSP

Just curious - but are you getting that price from CDN ? It's just that I find it hard to imagine. If F12 lists at $325 - and AU55 can be had for $500 - what are the values for VF and XF and lower Au grades ?

And that $20 price I mentioned - I found no less than 5 ads in Coin World and Numismatic News for the star design 3 cent silver in F12 grade listed at $20 - $25.

11. cdcda

cdcda New Member

I was quoting retail prices for the coin when I mentioned $325 in F-12 or $500 in AU. The CDN (Coin Dealer Newsletter - or Greysheet) is going to list wholesale bid and ask prices for the coin. In the case of this particular coin, F-12 bid is probably around $225 in F-12 or around $350 in AU.

The reason for the small price spread in the case of the three cent silver piece is that they are not that much more uncommon in AU than they are in F. With some coins, they wear quickly and higher grades are substantially rarer than lower grades, but this is not the case with the three cent piece.

12. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Not for post 1862 coins, or if you did they were either typos or a BARGIN that you should have jumped on. After 1862 mintages of business strike three cent silver plummetted and for all practical purposes they were not released for circulation (A few got out, probably due to requests from collectors) and almost all of the post 1862 trimes were melted down in 1873. There are more proofs surviving today for these years than all of the business strikes in any grade. Now the 1859 - 62 third design trimes are readily available and inexpensive.

13. Prethen

Prethen Senior Member

Get it!

If you can find a post-1862 3CS in just about any collectible condition and a price ANYWHERE near graysheet....BUY IT! Those coins regularly auction for nowhere near wholesale and usually go for very high retail. In fact, a number of the auctions I've seen, these coins have gone HIGHER than retail. They are extremely scarce, perhaps even rare, especially 1865. For me, it would be a no brainer, I've been looking to buy one for about 2 years now and I can't find any for any sort of reasonable price. When I find one listed for a reasonable price (even near retail), it's already been sold.

Draft saved Draft deleted