1864 New Brunswick One Cent

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Bonedigger, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

Hit another antique shop today when I was town and found an 1864 New Brunswick One Cent. It's in XF condition and I paid $5.00. I was wondering if anyone had the mintage and could (from the picture) tell me if it's a long or short six.

Thanks
    Bone

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Skylark

Skylark Senior Member

The mintage was 1,000,000 (both types)
    Its really hard to tell but my (inexperienced) guess would be Long.

4. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

Thanks for the info. BTW, your package went out today.

Bone

5. Skylark

Skylark Senior Member

No problem. BTW, what grade is XF? Something like Fine?

And now for the agonizingly long wait.

6. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

nice one boneman!..now you realize you have to get a cent from each province in Canada..no stopping now.

7. Krasnaya Vityaz

Krasnaya Vityaz Always Right

I think they were only issued in New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, and Newfoundland.. I think I have all of them except Newfoundland, small cent issues.

8. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

My method of acquisition is rudimentary for sure. The wife sends me into town (55 miles one way) every so often, headed to the printers or make deliveries for her. Anyway I manage to wander into a couple of my regular antique store haunts and look for new (old) neat (toy) stuff. We have one coin shop in town and they NEVER/rarely get new material.

I used to sell some of it on ebay but recently have discovered you can snag the odd foreign coin. I have to rely on intuition as dragging my Krause along is somewhat cumbersome.

Bone

9. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Bone,this is the Short Tailed 6 one.I have this one,plus an example of the Long Tailed 6 one as well.As for Prince Edward Island,their only official coin was the 1871 1c. coin,but there were some ship tokens,which were used as halfpennies (1/2d.) in Prince
    Edward Island.

Aidan.

10. Defiant7

Defiant7 Enjoy the Insanity

and by the actual province of Canada in 1858 and 1859. The Province of Canada became parts of the province of Ontario and Quebec after confederation in 1867.

11. bromac4

bromac4 Senior Member

Great deal. CCN trends shows a value of $30.00.

Bill

12. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

The first 1c. coins of the Dominion of Canada were not issued until
    1876.These have a crowned portrait as opposed to the laureate portrait on the 1c. coins of the Province of Canada,which was a union of Upper Canada (now Ontario) & Lower Canada (now Quebec),brought about by the Lord Durham Report of 1839,which looked into the causes of the 1837 Rebellions in both Canadian colonies.

Aidan.

Draft saved Draft deleted