1862 confederate penny uncirculated

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Jesse P, Jan 2, 2010.

1. Jesse P

Jesse P eagle eye

Hello.I have a real 1862 confederate penny not a restrike.it is authentic and kept in a saftey deposit box.i aquired it from inside a old 1800s piano i had and found it neatly placed inside.it is in 100 percent condition.there are only 16 of these and this is one of them.does anybody know who i can contact for further examination and possibly value .serious coin collectors only because its status and location are kept private.thank you.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ten-cents

ten-cents Senior Member

Pictures Required!!!!!!!

I never know what to make of a post like this. First, as has been said countless times before here, you must post pictures. Second, your story is hardly believable; the coin is most likely a re-strike. However, you insist it is original and therefore must prove it by posting pictures. It would be a great find if original.

4. Jesse P

Jesse P eagle eye

dear sir,thank you for your input.the coin has been examined by 3 coin experts several years ago.it is indeed real and they compared it with me with a restrike.i will not post a pic on line but if you are interested i can send you pictures in a different manner.because of its condition and value i am very concerned of peoples knowledge of its location.thank you.

5. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

Hi Jesse 1st off welcome to CoinTalk, now if you dont want to take the coin to a local dealer or send it off to one of the major grading companies can I sugest that you take it to a large museam with a coin dept for authentication. Simply because it was found in a old Piano is no guarentee of authentisity now is it?
    You can allways post a couple of clear pics/scans of it here but be prepaird to be told it is a restrike (Dont get upset)

6. Jesse P

Jesse P eagle eye

thank you for your welcome.the coin has been examined by 2 coin experts and 1 civil war collecting expert who owns restrikes.i am sorry for wasting your time i thought that you might be as some help.thank you

7. Jesse P

Jesse P eagle eye

i was hoping someone here was a major grading expert.sorry.and happy holidays

8. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

Jesse if you are unwilling to even post a pic how on earth do you expect anyone to tell you anything, also why ask if you have allready recieved advice from 3 experts in the field? Do you not believe them??
    I mentioned sending it to one of the large grading companies or a museam what more advice do you require???

9. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

Send some photos to coin world or one of the other major magazines or contact one of the major TPGs. Without photos no one here will speculate on it for you.

10. Jesse P

Jesse P eagle eye

thank you for your advice mate.

11. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

If like this one it was made before the copy laws were made on coinage,that why there no COPY stamped on it.this one was made at the 100av in 1961

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

If you are sure it's real it needs to go to PCGS or NGC.

13. Jesse P

Jesse P eagle eye

thank you i will try those places asap.i know its a historical find and im 95.% sure its real.thank you all for your help.

14. Cringely

Cringely Active Member

results

Jesse, let us know what happens.

15. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Jesse, Welcome to the forum and no disrespect intended, but this is like someone saying they have an original Declaration of Independence dated 1777. To be a real confederate cent, it has to be dated 1861, which the ones you are talking about. Also to be a confederate cent, it has to have connections with the government of the Confederacy, which so far history has only brought forth the 1861 connection with Lovette.

I recognize from your answers above that you will disagree with this, so my suggestion is to send it to PCGS to be sure. Many websites use a photo of a 1862 token ( not actual cent) as an illustration for the original cent, which according to most authorities is just wrong.

Yes, the people you showed it to would say it is not a confederate cent restrike, as the restrikes were also dated 1861, not 1862. I suspect they are vague on the origins of the 1862 token. The 1862 dated tokens were made by the Georgia Mint ( private) for sale at various truck/tourist stops in the Civil War areas in the 1960s ( although I might be a year or couple off from that. It is not a Bashlow restrike type.

Jim

16. cris11

cris11 Hakuna Matata

I think there is a lesson here for all of us: please do not feed the trolls.

17. illini420

illini420 1909 Collector

Come on everyone, sure the chances of this being a genuine example are slim... but there is a chance.

Just in the last decade the last 1913 Liberty Nickel came out of the woodwork under some interesting circumstances (read up on that if you don't know the details) and super rare coins are rediscovered practically every year. The OP has nothing to prove to us (though it would be nice). He is simply asking for some advice on who to contact for further exam and certification as genuine.

Like others have mentioned, professional certification would be best. Unless you have a prior relationship with a trusted dealer or one heck of a referral I would be hesitant just to trust most individuals with their opinions. You wouldn't want someone telling you it's definitely a copy when in fact it's real, simply in an attempt to take advantage of you.

If it were my coin and I suspected it to be genuine, I'd personally hand deliver it (woudln't trust the mail given the possible value) PCGS/NGC for same day show certification at the nearest major coin show where they set up for show grading.

Of course, pics would be nice and please follow up with what you decide and what is ultimately decided about your coin. Good luck!

18. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I agree, what if it is real? What an amazing find. It's worth finding out. I would love to see pictures...without them nobody here can do anything but speculate. Since there are so many more fakes than real examples the normal response is to assume it's fake...but you never know. So, please post pictures of your coin. There are many experts here on the forum who can help but a picture is absolutely required otherwise we have nothing to go on.

IMHO, the only other way to know for sure what it is is to have it professionally authenticated. I would send it to PCGS and have them authenticate, grade, and slab it.

19. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

As desertgem states, all "originals" are dated 1861. If yours is dated 1861 a hands on professional examination is best. If dated 1862 it is just a souvenir piece.

20. Jesse P

Jesse P eagle eye

on this 1862 penny on the back right bottom there is a letter L all replics i have seen so far do not have this marking as i can find no information on what it would be

21. Jesse P

Jesse P eagle eye

and its size is slightly larger than a u.s. current nickle thanks.

Draft saved Draft deleted