1862 Confederate Cent

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by cbelrun, Nov 4, 2009.

?

Is it real?

Poll closed Nov 6, 2009.
  1. yes

37.5%
  2. no

62.5%
  1. cbelrun

cbelrun Junior Member

We have a Confederate Cent that has been passed down in the family. It is in okay condition. Looks JUST like the 1861 Cent. Doesn't say copy anywhere on the coin. We have had several people look at it and some say its real some say they can't tell and some just say that coin was never made. So can you help us, tell us something even if it is a copy is there anymore copies? Oh yeah it is a tiny bit bigger than todays nickle.Thanks

Attached Files:

capthank likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cbelrun

cbelrun Junior Member

Please give us ur thoughts, like where we could take it or anything really

4. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Well, it could be real and it could be fake, sorry about that I didn't know it's a poll. My guess is that it's a restrike, real. Here's a link from PCGS that has some info and welcome to CT. Maybe others will comment and you may want to go to the introductions link to introduce yourself. That's kinda how it's done here, welcome!! :bow:

http://www.pcgs.com/articles/article2903.chtml

5. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Here is another thread on the 1862 (cent).
    http://www.cointalk.com/t33020/

The 1862 cents were made by a couple of companies in 1961-1965 for the 100th anniversary of the civil war. The original Confederate cents and restrikes were all dated 1861. To avoid problems these tokens were made dated 1862. Some were made using the date 1861, but they were made earlier( in the 1950s mainly for re-enactments of confederate battles, etc.) and are not "restrikes" of the original, but are tokens also. You will notice one of those in my posting in the above thread, along with a couple of "restrikes" that has dies canceled by chisel strikes.

Jim

6. desertgem

Sorry, I forgot to say Welcome to the forum. If you click the "search" on the menu bar at the top of the listing and enter "confederate cent", you should find more info.

Jim

7. cbelrun

cbelrun Junior Member

so if it is a real restrike what is it worth?

8. desertgem

It isn't a restrike, it is a token, not a coin. A restrike is striking a real coin a second or more time with the same die, even though it may be done years later. The 1862 was never a real coin, so it is just a token or fantasy issue. They are very common in the south ( imagine why :) ), and some have said you can still buy them in souvenir stands for a dollar or so. Most I have seen on ebay sell for $1 to $5 or so , depending on the luck of the seller.

Basically , you have the real strike of 12 coins by Lovett in 1861.

then a coin Dealer named Hazeltine bought the dies and he and Maris made 73 (First) restrikes until the die broke.7 gold, 12 silver, 54 copper. Thought to have been destroyed.

IN 1961 Robert Bashlow, a New York City coin dealer announcd he had the dies. The obverse die had been defaced by hammer blows and the reverse by chisel cuts. Bashlow had August C. Frank & Co. of Philadelphia make transfer dies and strike 30,156 copies in a variety of metals ( and fiber, etc) in time for the Civil War centennial. Known as the Bashlow "second restrikes," they are the final run of Confederate cents. Following his 1961 production strikes, Bashlow donated both dies to the Smithsonian Institute where they currently reside.

Jim

Martha Lynn and ldhair like this.
  9. MissSasha

MissSasha Junior Member

The poll itself is misleading.

Is it a real Confederate Cent? Absolutely not.

Is it a real token, fantasy issue, etc? Absolutely yes, it's real if you can hold it in your hand.

10. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

I own one too.

[​IMG]

These were created in the mid 1980s and were sold as part of a set of retro style coins including a half dollar also dated 1862, and a $5 and $20 gold piece that were actually just plated coins.

They are all fantasies, and as such are worth about a buck or two.

11. Ulises Vargas

Ulises Vargas New Member

I have an 1862 Confederate of state of america half dollar coin. I think it is genuine ... what is its value?

12. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

13. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

We need good images to give you good answers.

14. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

I'm going to say no, no it's not real.
    1 sold a few years ago for almost a million dollars.

15. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

There are no 1862 Confederate half dollars. The few genuine ones are all 1861.

16. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

If I am reading the net correctly (and that is a huge IF):
    They made restrikes dated 1862 with a different design than the 1861.
    (Jefferson Davis?)
    And they made modern token copies of the restrikes.
    But also, they never really made coins for circulation. Which is why we
    never see anyone with anything but a token replica of a cent or half dollar.
    Yes a few of these coins exist but they were never spent, and most/all are accounted for. (Again if I am reading the net correctly. Grain of salt.)
    us_confederate_half_dollar.jpg restrike.jpg

capthank likes this.
  17. Ulises Vargas

Ulises Vargas New Member

Attached Files:

18. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

On the side with the shield below the shield and to the right your coin says copy, indicating it is a modern copy. Interestingly, the coin it is a copy of was never a genuine coin at all, they may have been made for the Centennial of the Civil War.

Ulises Vargas likes this.
  19. Ulises Vargas

Ulises Vargas New Member

Ok thanks for the info

20. Ulises Vargas

Ulises Vargas New Member

I have other coins... i could would to se how much worth?

Attached Files:

21. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

Each one appears to be worth face value, that is, fifty cents each.

Steve

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted