1861 confederate half dollar

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by curtis_brownjr, Jul 14, 2005.

1. curtis_brownjr

curtis_brownjr New Member

Hi everybody!
    I have read a lot about the 1861 confederate half dollar and I know the one I have isn't one of the original four and I know it isn't a copy so it has to be one of the 500 re-strikes. My question is that my coin has a capitol letter "T" just to the right of the date. I haven't read anything about this or seen any other coins with it. Can anyone help me?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bzcollektor

bzcollektor SSDC Life Member

It doesn`t look like a restrike, but a really crude cast copy. Maybe some others here will have another opinion about it, but it`s not even close. I will try and find a pic of a real one.

4. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

This piece that you have got,is most definitely a dud,as it has the appearance of lead.There is some mention of the Confederate States of America $1/2 in the new edition of Krause Unusual World
    Coins,which you can buy here; www.amazon.com .

Aidan.

5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Howdy curtis - Welcome to the Forum !!

Unfortunately your coin isn't one of the restrikes either - it appears to be a cast copy. You can see what the Scott restrikes look like here - Click Here

You can see a genuine Confederate half - HERE

6. bzcollektor

bzcollektor SSDC Life Member

Sniped by GDJ! :D

Oh yeah, Welcome too!

7. curtis_brownjr

curtis_brownjr New Member

does lead normally tarnish black?

8. The_Cave_Troll

The_Cave_Troll The Coin Troll

lead tarnishes VERY quickly. When you cut lead it is bright and silvery and it darkens within a few seconds to a couple of minutes later to a dark, dull grey. Over time it will eventually tarnish very darkly, even to black.

So the short answer is yes.

9. giladzuc

giladzuc Senior Member

I was told that the people of the Confederacy used only forged coins and put them into circulation. The year 1861 is known for the minting year of the forged coins. The word "LIBERTY" on the picture is not properly minted. It shows the forgery. There is no section in the coin standard catlog of Krause for the coins of the "Confederacy".

10. tradernick

tradernick Coin Hoarder

Welcome Curtis! I'm in agreeance with the others, yours is a copy. I had one of the restrikes about 13 years ago. Had it on consignment thinking I had a buyer for it but it didn't work out. It was an ANACS AU50 coin...very nice.
    Thanks for the links to those pics GDJMSP...that's great.
    Nick

11. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

As has been said here it is a copy. i believe it is probably european in origin because of the T by the date which I believe means "Toy".

12. jody526

jody526 New Member

With only a picture of the obverse, there's no way to tell what it's a copy of.
    It could be a copy of any 1861 Liberty Seated coin.
    But, it is a copy.

13. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Jody,if you look very closely at the picture,you will see that it has a very dull appearance,which gave it away as being made of lead,
    which is also in your everyday pencil.

Aidan.

14. skrilla

skrilla That Guy

thats graphite, not lead. ;)

15. j16alb

j16alb New Member

I have a coin just like this one and from my reseach the T stands for Texas were it was minted.

16. $incere

$incere New Member

COPY for sure.. Agree..

17. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

j16alb, what information have you found to support the Texas idea? Oh sorry, welcome to the forum!

18. csacoin

csacoin New Member

Hello,

Could you provide some information about your research on the so-called Confederate half-dollar with the T to the right of the date? My research associate and I have been trying to determine the source of these fantasy tokens.

Your Obedient Servant,
    CSACOIN

19. $incere

$incere New Member

no doubt

Draft saved Draft deleted